We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips and money Chaaya Island

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greater London...
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
day trips and money Chaaya Island

Hi,

My husband and I are staying at Chaaya Island AI on 17th March for 2 weeks. There appears to be no information about day trips. Can anyone clarify what day trips are available and how much they are?

Also, is it worth bring our own snorkel and mask?

Finally, considering it's AI, how much spending money is recommended? Or, can we put it on a card? Are there any charges?

Thank you

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips and money Chaaya Island

Hi

First off a disclaimer - I haven't been to Dhonveli (Chaaya Island) but have been to Ellaidhoo amongst other resorts.

The Chaaya website gives a list of excursions but other may be on offer in resort:

Local island trip to Himmafushi and Huraa Island - you will need to dress appropriately for this as local islands are subject to muslim law - no bare thighs, shoulders or upper arms.

Sunset or night fishing - this is usually by handline and most resorts will cook your catch for you.

Dolphin and/or manta safari - usually by dhoni and these are offered morning and afternoon with the opportunity to swim with them (although don't bank on dolphins coming near) if encountered.

A trip to Male is usually on offer from most resorts nearby but due to past periods of unrest on the city island it can be suspended at any time.

Excursions are advertised in reception for you to sign up and most have a minimum/maximum number of people requirement.

The excursion details are on the link below under 'offerings' bottom right - sorry no prices

www.chaayamaldives.com/hotel.cfm?ghid=261089

I would always take my own mask and snorkel as you may not get a properly fitted mask on the island and a leaking mask makes for some pretty miserable snorkelling. Dhonveli doesn't have an accessible house reef or dropoff - this is accessed by boat trip - but you should see marine life and coral blocks in the surrounding lagoon

If going AI any extras such as spa, excursions etc will be charged to your room and can be covered by card at the end of your stay - don't forget there is a 8% government tax on anything outside what you have already paid for (and maybe a 10% service charge too depending on the island). Tipping is customary in the Maldives and there is a faq on the right of the page with more info. US$ are the currency of choice and aim to get some smaller denomination bills for luggage boys etc as the island may not have the capacity to change a large amount for you (we have always been able to change a $20 note or 2 though).

Have a great holiday!

2. Re: day trips and money Chaaya Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 05:17