We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baros in June.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
297 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Baros in June.

We are looking at Baros at the moment for June.

Can any experts please tell me if this is a great place to visit.

Also we would consider Half Board. Are the drinks very expensive ?? As newbies to this Island (we did go to Meeru, AI). Would like any advice, prices on non included meals, tips. Thank you.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,577 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baros in June.

baros is obviously a huge step up from meeru on many levels but it may take some getting used to being so close to male

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baros in June.

Ask for prices in BB, as HB is very expensive and you get only a diacount at Cayenne and Lighthouse... I think it's better to go BB and have dinner where you want (even at your Villa).

uk
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baros in June.

Baros is stunning, we were there a few weeks ago and we cant wait to go back. It is not the currently top rated island in the Maldives on Tripadvisor for nothing

I would go B&B so you can eat where you want. Drinks are expensive, though we were charged the same for a bottte of beer in the The Park Inn Manchester as at Baros. The wine is quite pricey though.

I am curious though, other than being able to see Male in the distance, from one part of the island what effect it being there could have on your holiday that will take some getting used to?

Sally

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,577 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baros in June.

sally ... have you been to one of the further removed islands? there is a huge difference in the tranquility and serenity . baros being so close to male has heavy shiptraffic and a pretty steady stream of jets and seaplanes flying over or visible in the sky .. add to that the lightpollution at night and you have a completely different experience . not a bad one .. just different. personally , I would not return to baros but everyone has their own set of priorities and expectations .

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baros in June.

Hi

My daughter has been to Baros, and Mirihi among others. I've been to neither of these so this is second hand information! She says her overriding memory of Baros is of peace and tranquility. Yoga on the decking near the water villas, that type of thing. Full of what she calls 'Nouveau Riche', bit pretentious to the point that she felt uncomfortable at times and the reef wasn't up to much. She categorically says she was no more aware of planes and passing traffic than on other islands she's been to,(sorry spammie!) but yes, the light pollution was more obvious than on islands further away from Male - not bad, but yes there was some. Prices- near enough to London prices not to complain about or comment on . She reckons if Baros is in budget then you should also look at Mirihi, as the overall ambience is more relaxed, and when she went they were both in the same sort of price bracket. Hope that helps a bit!

SL

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baros in June.

Mirihi will be closed next June though, unfortunately.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
163 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baros in June.

Baros is wonderful.

As others have said, go BB. The half board option includes breakfast and a 4 course dinner in The Limes (the main restaurant.) If you choose to eat in one of the other two restaurants, you get a $45 pp discount. Four courses is a lot of food! Therefore, the BB is better value. However be prepared for a large bill at the end. Food prices are on their website. Everything has a 10% service charge added, plus, was it 5% tax? Anyway, it pushes the bill up, so beware. Drinks are expensive, the cheapest bottle of wine is about $32 (ex tax and service) soft drinks are around $4-6 each, cocktails are from $11 each. I can't remember exactly how much beer is, sorry!

Baros is near Male, about 20-25 mins by speedboat, which can be a bonus as you are whisked there straightaway and can be in your villa an hour after disembarking your international flight. No long waits for seaplanes.

You can see Male in the distance, you can see airplanes, well their lights, taking off in the distance. There probably is some light pollution. there are two other islands relatively close by. You certainly do not have jets flying over or anywhere near the island, nor can you ever hear them. The odd seaplane does fly over, but that is a rarity. The island manager stopped them flying over the island a couple of years ago. Some of the outlying islands have several very noisy sea plane landings a day. There are some boats that travel past the island, but that's interesting, not intrusive.

Some people do not like the low sea wall around part of the island. However, when the sea is choppy, the wall protects the lagoon so that you can still snorkel. The house reef is great.

Read the reviews on TA. Baros, rightly, gets consistently stunning reviews. However, so do many others. Everyone has individual preferences.

If you go to Baros, I promise you will love it. If you are concerned about the cost of food and drink, consider an island that offers AI. Athuruga has a great AI package, is probably prettier than Baros, also has a great house reef, is a seaplane ride away, but is not as luxurious and attention to detail is not so great.

Wherever you choose, have a lovely holiday.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,383 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baros in June.

Cannot wait - going end of August :)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baros in June.

Some people swear on their childrens lives that whilst on Kurumba, Taj Exotica or Sheraton Full moon they never saw or heard any jets from the close by International airport - not 1. But Baros is 3 or 4 times further away isnt it? (Probably not far enough away for me though)

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
163 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baros in June.

Taj Exotica is overflown by international flights. It does look lovely out of the window from the plane though. Kurumba is the nearest island to Male, about a 10 minute dhoni (not speedboat) ride away. Think put- put- put rather than zoooooom!

Full Moon is the next island and is a 20 minute dhoni ride away. I stayed on Full Moon about 14 years ago and wouldn't go back as it is too close to Male. Although I do not remember having jets fly over, I remember being able to see them very clearly from the island. I can't remember if I could hear them, but don't think I could.

Baros is much, much further away, 20-25 minutes by speedboat. See my precious post about distance from Male.