We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Hi All,

We are going to Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru in 10 days and was wondering if any of you have any last minute advise for first timers to the Maldives.

Also does anyone have any experience of 1st class with Emirates.

Any info would be appreciated.

Happy Hols to all you Maldive addicts LOL

Best Regards

The Nutter

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Hi Nutter,

Welcome to the forum!

One bit of advice, make sure you go snorkelling on the house reef at the banyan sister island - Angsana Ihuru it is one of the best house reefs in the Maldives, also worth going snorkelling with the resident marine biologist.

Watch the sun, it is very strong!

Hope you enjoy!!

Regards

Emu

Uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Thanks emu much appreciated

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Hmmmm...

Take plenty of sun block... unless you have really "non-british" skin (sorry) you will burn badly otherwise. They generally sell the stuff at the resort store but its always very expensive.

Take plenty of film if you arent going digital. Take spare batteries if you dont have a charger for your camera / IPOD etc.

They often sell film and batteries but they are again very expensive.

Take sun glasses even if you dont normally wear them. Sun is bright. They generally sell them at the resort store but they are always very expensive.

If you plan to snorkel and can afford it I would suggest that you go buy yourself a good fitting mask before you go and a decent snorkel if you dont already own them. The rentals are usually ok but nothing spoils snorkel fun like a leaking mask or a leaky purge valve on a snorkel. The rental fins are usually adequate for the task.

If you plan on spending time in the ocean wading about I would suggest that you also invest in some aqua shoes to wear. They will save you from possible injury stepping on dead coral or some unexpected creature that you didnt see in the water.

I'm sure Ill think of something else...

Ok editorial opinion here .... make sure you take some small bills (dollars) to reward people who serve you well on your trip and make it special. Despite what some folks believe on here they people dont make much in salary so your tips are very much appreciated.

If I think of something else I will add more.

Have a great trip!

Uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Cheers spammie great help just ordered aqua shoes off Amazon and the missus has bought Boot's stock of suncream.

The Nutter

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Hi

Sadly I have no experience of Emirates 1st class and am unlikely to unless my lottery numbers come up!!

However, I am sure it is extremely luxurious and that you will be treated like royalty!

On a more practical level, mossie repellant is always a good idea - especially if you or your OH are at all senstive to bites. A high DEET content (50%) is recommended for the tropics.

Also, to make sure you have memories of the fantastic snorkelling, get yourself an underwater camera.

Have a great time

OD

Uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Thanks OD much appreciated.

.........By the way what islands have you been to as no doubt we'll be going back once bitten by the addictive bug.

I also see Rumpole lives for the Maldives forum, do you know where he has travelled to in the Maldives.

Regards

The Nutter

Sunderland
Level Contributor
74 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

I'm very jealous, it seems like forever since we were there (it was only Nov).

Emirates flights are fab, we didnt go 1st class but had a nosey and it looked amazing, so much room!

As for BT, def go for the aqua shoes (i would've given my arm for a pair whilst there), def plenty of sunscreen and either an underwater camera or a aquapac for your camera.

We didnt go to Angsana snorkelling we found enough to amuse us around the BT reef.

Dont miss feeding the fish at the end of the jetty after dinner on an evening, the sharks are spectacular, we spent every single night there watching them. If you can - take the dolphin cruise, this was by far my favourite trip, it was so amazing following the dolphins and being so close to them, then the champagne and canapes on the way back - luxury.

Enjoy every mo, its amazing.

We took the couples massage at the Spa, fab!! CAn i come with you? ha ha.

London, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

Hi Nutter,

The guys have answered just about all you need to know.

Have a wonderful trip, we'll see you their.

We may even see you in the 1st class cabin if you are on the 1.40pm from Gatwick.

As we too go on the 1st if I have worked from your 10 days to go correctly.

If not you must try the Yellow Bird cocktail.

And Kelly i'm so glad you had a wonderful time at BTV.

John

9. Re: Going in 10 days to Vabbinfaru any last minute advise please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Vabbinfaru