We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

Portugal
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

I'm thinking about going in September for the 4th time (Cocoa Island, Mirihi and Veligandu) to maldives, and I'm in doubt between Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru. I know that the islands are close to each other but can not decide which one to choose.

From what I read on trip adviser seems to me that Banyan Tree have the best rooms, best beaches and best food, but it seems to me that the snorkeling in Ihuru is far much better.

Please, someone can help me decide?

15 replies to this topic
Surrey
Level Contributor
370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

Hi

I agree with what you say - we have been to Angsana Ihuru 3 times and have taken the boat over to Banyan Tree on several occasions.

The villas at Ihuru are smaller and contempory in design, but very nice all the same. The food is of a high standard - maybe not so much choice. They alternate waiter serviice and buffet each night.

The snorkelling at Ihuru is excellent - lots of coral regrowth and you WILL see lots of 4-5 ft sharks. The reef is very close to shore and you can snorkel around the whole island.

IMO the reef at Banyan does not compare - you have to go out a long way to see anything and we saw nowhere near as many fish.

The villas at Banyan look 'Luxury' (with a capital L) -

It depends what you are looking for really and the budget for each would vary greatly.

You dont say how long you are going for, but we met people who spent first week on Ihuru then took the 10 min boat ride to Banyan for their second week.

Hope this helps a little

Mal

Portugal
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

Hello Mal

Thanks for your reply, all opinions help a little.

In this case, what you wrote helped me confirm what had already read.

Unfortunately I'll just stay 7 nights, so I'll only be able to stay in one hotel.

If you dont mind, let me put you the question another way.

As the budget of just $ 300 more in Vabbinfaru, which one you choose?

Sorry my bad english.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

We stayed 7 nights at banyan Tree and after that 8 nights at ihuru, if it would have been Ihuru+Banyan for sure we would have enjoyed, but it wasn't and when we arrived at Ihuru, we would have paid for going back to Banyan... We had our decision: if we would ever go back, we would stay at Banyan and would go snorkelling to Ihuru...

It was august 2006, and yes definitely Ihuru's reef is incredible and Banyan's one was not very good (at least for me), that all the rest of things was much, much better at Banyan: food, villas, beaches, island not so crowded and specially I felt a special magic I haven't felt at others islands... I suppose that they are quoting an oceanview bungalow at Banyan, maybe yolu could see the beachfront one fitss in your budget...

Portugal
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

Hi Maria.

I can see that your preference clearly goes to the Banyan. I was checking the map of the hotel and it seemed to me that the number of villas is very high for the size of the island. It seemed also that are very close together and have little privacy. What did you think when you were there?

What are the differences between the rooms beachfront villa and Oceanview villa?

Thank you for your help.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

Hi vítor,

If you think that the numers of bungalows in banyan is high, imagine in angsana, there 48 bungalows at banyan and 45 at ihuru, with ihuru being more or lees half the size of banyan...

Certainly when you are at the beach at yogur sunbeds you can see yogur neighbours and there is no plants in fron of the bungalows so that people can see you if you stay at your porche...

The good thing about the bechfront bungalows is that they are coser to the beach and you have yogur own pavilion on the beach or even on the water, and it is great staying there. Oceanviews, if i remember properly do have their pavilion, but closer to the bungalow, so not in the real beach or on the water... The main diferente is that oceanviews ones are more inside the island (but not really very much) and beachfront are at the beach...

Deluxe beachfront bungalows are located at the best beach of banyan...

Portugal
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

Thank you, Maria.

You helped me a lot.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

You are welcome...

Penang Island...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

May I know have you decide your choice?

I am thinking to visit Maldive in end of OCT.

This will be my first visit to Maldive.

I am having a tough choice between Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru :)

Portugal
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

Hello Sylvia.

I decided to book the Banyan Tree but I can not give my opinion yet because I only go on the 17th of September ... maybe by then is too late to give you some information. If is still be useful for you I can give you my opinion at the end of September.

Anyway do not worry, I'm sure you'll enjoy one or the other. In my experience the Maldives is the perfect destination for those who love beautiful beaches, with few people, with white sand and warm waters. In the last three islands where i stayed the service was perfect and the food was always varied and high quality ... and I am sure that this year will also be like that ;-)

Sorry my english.

Penang Island...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?

Hi,

Thank you Vitor for your prompt reply - yea it would be too late for me to make decision but please share your experience @ Bayan Tree.. would really like to hear some preview :)

Appreciate that.

I have make up my mind to book Bayan tree based on the review on top :)

Thank you.

Reply to: Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru or Angsana Ihuru?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vabbinfaru