We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

Hi,

I flew back during the afternoon from Biyadhoo yesterday on a really busy Monarch flight which I found completely horrendous.

The couple in front of myself and my partner immediately fully reclined as soon as the seatbelt light went off leaving my knees jammed firmly into her seat. We politely asked them to go forward when lunch came, which they did reluctantly for five minutes before abruptly fully reclining again sending various bits and pieces flying off my tray in to my lap. They stayed reclined for the full duration of the trip.

In my view, it's certainly everyones right to do what they want with their seat as they have paid for it. However, I feel that in the interest of consideration and etiquette it's something you should avoid unless on a night - flight when people need to get some sleep.

Consequently, I spent almost ten hours feeling silently enraged whilst imagining all the childish ways I could get my 'revenge' (none of which I carried out of course!).

Anyway, the mist has settled and I have begun to wonder whether I was right in feeling this way and wondered what other people think about this, do I need anger management therapy?!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,374 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

you certainly don't need anger management therapy - but a medal for your patience and zen-like stance. is there such a thing as the ghandi award for air travel?

i would have strangled them from the inviting position behind them .. their reclined seats would have made that action even easier - not to mention much more inviting :)

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

Good point.

however you traveled with Monarrrrch--end of story.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

A few punches to the back of the seat normally solves the problem

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

This is the response I was hoping for ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

I find that grabbing hold of the seat in front, and 'oh dear was that your head/hair that got caught/that I hit' as you get up (several times!!) works wonders. Also, enlisting the help of the crew, but as it was Monarch not sure if they would play ball. And no, you do not need therapy, some people just need to learn some manners!

SL

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

Personally I also turn round and mention I am going to recline. I am not asking for peoples permission but just to be polite.

If they did recline while I was still eating then I would have told them straight…………….followed by my knees in their back. ;-]

.....yep I also use the pulling on the seat to get up......see how they like that!!!!!!!!

Edited: 29 June 2010, 14:20
SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

I too turn around to give the person behind me the heads up before I recline.

You deserve a medal... I would've stood up and down with my knees purposely hitting their chair annoying them.

if they had the courtesy to forewarn me then I would have let them know if they've reclined too much.

Rumps does make a point though of Monarch...

Personally I try not to fly discount airlines (or low rated) for anything more then 4/5 hours. My patience for things like this wears quite thin after that...

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

Robin,

It isn't just Monarch, I've had this problem too, and when I mentioned it to one of the cabin crew they said that the person was perfectly entitled to recline their seat - at whatever time they liked.

Hanging off the seat back and hair/head 'catching' ensued.... plus, choosing various tracks on the seatback entertainment system a little more firmly than usual.

I always like to warn the people behind me if I want to recline (after dinner, on a night flight). Though if anyone travels behind me they are probably thanking their lucky stars, as I find I can sleep better on planes sitting upright.

Thankfully, it will become a passing memory - until the next time!

Abbi :- )

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

abbi

Any decent airlines would explain that seats should be put forward for meals for obvious reasons, at least.

Just confirms to me that Monarchy is crap or and the staff are too. That goes for any others with the dopey policy.

Edited: 29 June 2010, 15:23
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch seat recline, am I just an angry man?

This happened to us to on a Sri Lankan flight in the economy section.

It was two very large and tall men (English) in front of us so I assume with the extra weight the seats were even further back. During meal times we were unable to put a glass on our tray backs. Their heads were almost in our laps!

My legs were completly squashed so I did wriggle a lot in hope to annoy them.

They took no notice of the flight attendants request to right them during meals so we had to eat on our laps and hold our glasses!

Now we try to fly premium or bulkhead where we can.

I usually just keep my seat upright.

Once we had a child jumping up and down on the seat in front of us and as the plane was pretty empty the Mother got up to make a bed in another row. I assumed for the child but she went off to sleep five rows back and left this kid jumping up and down shouting and throwing stuff at us! some people haha

T23