We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biyadoo

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Biyadoo

Has anybody been to this resort? Thinking of going autumn 2006. When is the best month, calmest and driest? How expensive are drinks there, especially water? Is the wine and beer O.K? Any other info would be welcome. We are not divers, but my partner likes to snorkel and I like soft sand and shallow seas. Would it be suitable? Any other information would be welcomed.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biyadoo

I have had a day trip to Biyadoo (in a speedboat that went so fast I lost my camera overboard!). From what I can remember there is not such a house reef but pretty much soft sandy shallow seas right off the beach. Do a search on the weather and check out Kanthony's post (I'll bump it up for you), the info there is spot on. Other TA's will hopefully chip in with the drink question you want but drinks are not cheap in the Maldives anyway.... activegirl

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biyadoo

Thanks activegirl for info?

Has anyone actually stayed there?

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Biyadoo

Hi

Didn't stay there but stayed at Villivaru which was a sister island run by the same group. Don't know if this is still the case.

At that time (1999)there was a free boat trip every day between the two islands as they are very close and you could go across and have lunch or dinner on the other island.

We went across to Biyadoo just for a look and didn't really like the look of the accommodation as it was in two storey blocks rather than individual villas on the beach. I don't think the block was right on the beach either so no waking up and just stepping out onto the beach. The snorkelling was ok but much better at Villivaru where we had dolphins come by every evening and once right in close to the shore.

I think that Villivaru is closed at the moment as both islands were run by the Taj group but I understand that someone else has taken over Villivaru now (not sure about who now runs Biyadoo) and it will probably be upgraded like so many other islands.

Be careful that there isn't building work going on at Biyadoo as I thought I read somewhere that this was the case.

Personally I'd prefer an individual villa on the beach. Consider Vilamendhoo which has good snorkelling and good food but narrow beach. It has individual accommodation which is basic but clean.

Hope this helps.

Siobhan

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biyadoo

SiobhanL. Thanks for your reply.

Anyone been there recently?

Stockton Heath...
Level Contributor
288 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biyadoo

oooh ive been to biyadhoo!! i went last september, into october. Snorkelling is amazing. As soon as u step into water theres plenty to see. The weather was fine, a few rainy times but overall better than expected. The wine and beer seemed fine to me and was not as expensive as i expected. I did think it was going to be loads but mine and my partners bill at the end (we were staying full board so it was just the drinks and trips) was quite small. We arent big drinkers though. The cocktails i noticed were quite expensive but they always are!!

The beaches are gorgeous. we were on the smaller beach right next to where the boats come in but it was amazing for snorkelling so I didnt mind. Food can get repetitive but it didnt bother me to be honest. I can eat pretty much anyting and I quite enjoyed it but my boyfriend was really bored with it half way through the 2nd wk. I loved it here. Good value for money. Idylic location.

I think i have some photos somewhere if u want them emailing ill try to find the disk.

amy

Stockton Heath...
Level Contributor
288 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biyadoo

also just read the post above mine. there was no building work when i went, and i also seen dolphins quite a few times from our island. the snorkelling really was great i must stress this! i couldnt get enough of it! our accomodation was very slightly back from the beach, but when i say slightly i mean about 10m at most back from the beach! I didnt visit villavaru it may be a lot nicer but i have nothing to comapre biyadhoo to and i really loved it. i was sad to leave! If you go look out for the seagull who cant fly. just wanders round the island all day.. i loved that seagul... !!

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biyadoo

Thank you guardiangirl for your reply. The island sounds really beautiful. We are not huge drinkers or very fussy about our food, so it could be ideal.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biyadoo

Just back from Biyadoo (Sept 2007),

Very basic resort with a great house reef for snorkelling and diving.

The house reef is set out with about 6 passages through the reef marked by buoys.

Took over a thousand digital pictures in seven days also got my scuba certification. The dive centre there is very professional and very well run.

Saw sharks every day, some small ones from the shore and full grown black tips and white tips from hte other side of the reef...just amazing.... my girlie got better pictures of the sharks than me.. Saw eels, turtles, dolphins, rays, hundreds of fish... what more do you want?

The beech is great but there is broken coral in the shallow sea.. just need to be careful, reefs are alive, not sterile places... be careful and you can have a great time. Wear rash vests while swimming, take good fins, masks and snorkels and you will have a great time....

Hull
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biyadoo

Hi, the wife an I are going to biyadoo on Sunday this week. Just wanted to ask if anyone could tell me whether we should take cash($) or travellers cheques($) and roughly how much we might need?

Looking forward to your replies, hopefully before we go away.

England
Level Contributor
315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biyadoo

Hi Stewpot

Haven't been to Biyadhoo personally, but I'm sure it is like the other islands, ie. you pay for all your extras (you sign for your trips, purchases from the shop, etc) at the end of your holiday - we usually pay on credit card for ease.

The only time you will need some USD$ is for tips during your holiday - porters, room boys, gardeners, boat crew, waiter, bar people etc.. There is a bureau de change at the arrivals hall in Male so you can change your money there if you haven't done so before you leave.

Have a fab holiday and please let us know what you thought about the island on your return.

Hope this helps!

CJ