We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Go AI or stay FB

Liverpool
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
To Go AI or stay FB

Being a bit of a tight wad how much would it cost to buy drinks 4 the four of us - 2 Adults and 2 children and would it be cheaper to go AI staying at Biyhadoo. We are going for 2 weeks and Kuoni want £1200 for the AI option we are not great drinkers, apart from the 14 year old !

That last statement was ajoke

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,564 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

Hi PP

I for one would only go AI it just takes the worries our of watching the pennies and i think you and your kids would easily blow £21 per day each as its hot and drinks soft or otherwise ain't cheep

However i have read on TA that some of the resorts offer a really good FB package

Also some resorts give more than just drinks for the privalige of being on AI so its swings and roundabout s

You are in the Maldives go for the AI or your kids may make you regret it lol

Darryl

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

Peter

I kept every bar and restaurant bill top copy from Biya and I can assure you that NOT being AI would have cost us considerably more. Bear in mind that a bottle of water is $3 and you will get through a lot, wine with your meal $4 a glass, juice $3.75, Bloody Mary $8 etc etc. I've just checked again and our two kids drank 274 glasses of juice between them over two weeks.It sounds a lot but it is just over 9 a day. They don't drink cola, sprite or tea or coffee, and if they have a couple at each meal, plus one before, a couple in the evening and one or two on the beach it is very easy to accumulate a bill by my calculations of over $1000 dollars at last year's prices without starting on alcohol and water. Also there would be another 16% on top of that for tax etc. You get a couple of trips included as well. It is, or certainly was, a lot cheaper to pay Kuoni's AI rather than pay on the island.

MissF

Edited: 26 June 2012, 10:41
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

Biyadhoo only has one bar and one restaurant, so I would say better to go AI, as no dine around option.

As far as I know with FB you would only get some drinks with breakfast. You would need to pay for all other drinks including water. Also there are taxes on top of your final bill. Going AI would definitely take the worry out of things. I think our final bill on AI (without tips) came to around $15!(two fridge magnets and internet access)

see this thread on drinks prices -

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298335-i9918-k4…

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

I costed this out on our last visit to Biyadhoo (2009). We were on an FB basis and with our consumption of water, soft drinks, beer, spirits and cocktails we actually saved about $200 by not going AI.

Of course, everyone's consumption of drinks is different. I know there were couples there on AI who ran up daily bar bills that totalled over $250 a day.

OD

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

OD,

I take my hat off to your moderation!

MissF

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

MissF

I was quite surprised at the difference. Admittedly I don't drink but Mrs D is partial to a cocktail or two before dinner and a couple of postprandial VSOPs. Neither of us went without drinks wise.

OD

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

I suppose it also depends on the price difference between the two. I am sure when we went it was also something like £21 pp per day.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

That would be about right, T23, for what PP45 has been quoted: £1200, four people, two weeks £150 each per week, 7 times your £21 = £147. and that was a year or two ago surely?

Your point about one bar/restaurant and no dine-around options is very good.

MissF

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

I based my comparison on $77 per day for the two of us to upgrade to AI on site.

OD

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To Go AI or stay FB

Sorry to be the numpty here... can I just clarify that AI is "alcohol inclusive" and FB is 'full board'?

I originally thought AI is "all inclusive" which I then realised is the same as full board and then I got really confused :)

Get answers to your questions about South Male Atoll