We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

injections that are recommended

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
injections that are recommended

Hi, me and my husband are going to the maldives in june 2013 and he wanted to get his jabs sooner rather than later, he had hep a and b i think, then he had tetanus, then typhoid. the typhoid one really made him ill and he had to stay off work for the first time in 22 years, do you really need the typhoid injection? any advice please x

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: injections that are recommended

There are no compulsory vaccinations required for uk visitors to the Maldives.

The ones you mention are the common sense ones for any travellers really. Best to be guided by the advice of your medical practitioner(s) especially with regards the typhoid one making your husband ill.

Ian

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: injections that are recommended

My husband & I are going to Villamendo in 2 weeks time and have just been give a course of Heb A & B injections..But NO typhoid as there is something wrong with the batch..!!!

The nurse giving the injections had just come back from the very same resort and said do not worry about typhoid she did not have it..Hope this helps

Shirl

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: injections that are recommended

That's correct, there is a problem with some of the injectable typhoid vaccines BUT she should have offered you oral typhoid which has to be prescribed and which is 3 capsules taken over alternate days. Needs to be kept in the fridge and you also need to complete any course of antibiotics prior to taking it. It's as effective as the injection and lasts for the same 3 years

Sue

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
265 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: injections that are recommended

Hep b, are you sure?

This is to protect against blood based Transmissions?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: injections that are recommended

Although Hep A is usually given as a single, mono vaccine, it can be given as a combination vaccine with Hep B.

There is also a Hep A/typhoid combination.

Julie

I agree with Ian's suggestion. In view of your husband's previous bad reaction to typhoid vaccine I would consult with your Practice Nurse to get the most up-to-date medical advice.

OD

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: injections that are recommended

Yes we were given the Hep A & B as a combination...It is FREE like that. IF you need Hep B at a later date to travel else where you have to pay..So of course we took it, thou I found it Very uncomfortable...I was ill for 24 hours after the second one..I am slightly alarmed to read about the typhoid thou oral stuff and anti biotics as I think we may have run out of time as we fly on the 27th Jan..!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: injections that are recommended

Thanks everyone...hubby had the oral typhoid as the injection wasn't available, he took one tablet every two days, but was ill within 24 of taking first tablet, I will ask doctor or advice. Thanks again

8. Re: injections that are recommended

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about South Male Atoll