We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Money.

We are going to Biyadoo in March and can't wait.

I have read on the tips page that tipping staff can be done with us dollars. Is this right?

We would rather use dollars than Maldive money as we think this will be easier to facilitate rather than be left with other currency.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money.

all you need is USD . the Maldivian rufiyaa is not needed anywhere . USD is the preferred currency in male and on local islands as well

NORWICH
Level Contributor
205 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money.

U/S dollars is fine, enjoy yourself, we've done 2 x trips to Biyadhoo since we've been going to the Maldives and the snorkelling is fantastic, have a great time

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money.

Thanks for the reply.

We cant wait, it will be our first time to the Maldives,i'm sure we wont be disapointed.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money.

you will have an amazing time ! I don't think "disappointment" and "Maldives" go together in one sentence

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money.

we loved Biyadhoo last year and apart from the awful, undrinkable white wine, there was nothing not to love (even our rooms (x2) were pretty good). Well, maybe the AI cocktail list could be a bit bigger but then again if you paid for drinks, they are cheap as chips anyway as is the diving. Our 18 yr old daughter nearly fainted when she saw the island, lovely beaches on the west side, authentic Maldivian curries (lots of curries), freshly made divine bread and for us, the second best reef we have snorkelled. More marine life at Biyadhoo than much more preferred reefs. Some mega shoals there were like something from Planet Earth series.

For £2.7K for 3 adults in 2 rooms on AI it was the proverbial Maldivian bargain. If i ever saw a late deal for Biyadhoo I would book it no questions asked. (others detest the place which is fine, but we loved it).

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money.

Have been to Biya many times - its a great budget choice with a good reef.

Our preference is for the east side rooms, downstairs block 1 as it is quieter in the afternoon and near the best of the reef and the dive centre but it does lose the sun in the afternoon and there is much less beach area than on the west side so its down personal preference.

It is a budget island though and you are hopefully clued up on that and have read the reviews. It is not the case of it just being less luxurious. As Paul says it's an island that attracts a lot of opposing opinions but we have had no qualms about returning again and again (and would do so again if the price was right).

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money.

Thanks again for the replies. We knew Biya was a budget resort, and just wanted a 'taste' of the Maldives after our tour of Sri-Lanka.

We chose this resort after reading the good reviews, and the fact that it has a brilliant reef.

We are both new to snorkeling and are looking forward to our visit.

Unfortunately i have a feeling 5 nights will not be enough!

8. Re: Money.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about South Male Atoll