We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater camera.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater camera.

Hi all, can anyone recommend a good underwater camera for a reasonable price? (around £300)

I am a novice photographer/ snorkeler.

We will be going to Biyadoo next month and i am hoping to get some decent holiday pics.

Cheers

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater camera.

Olympus tough TG 1... Check out my review of park hyatt and athuruga

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater camera.

I can highly recommend a gopro hero 3 black edition,sure they are primarily a video camera but you can also take great photos and even extract good stills from video. It comes with underwater housing, and has a variety of mounts for it. Here's a video I made using mine. Got it for 225 from play dot com. Skip to abiut 1.45 as the start is a bit boring.

Watch "Kuredu, Maldives 2013" on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 23 December 2013, 07:54
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater camera.

Forgot to say the best thing about the gopro is ability to take great 'selfies' with the marine life, I have some fantastic photos with a turtle between me and the camera or manta rays in front of me snorkeling. Just makes the photos your own and not something you could easily grab from Google images.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater camera.

Hi

We have done quite a bit of research on this and i think the Cannon D20 is the best all rounder in this price range .

You can find lots of other threads on this subject by searching on the tool bar .

good luck

Darryl

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater camera.

For a novice photographer/snorkeller, you can do a lot worse than the Canon Powershot D20. I've used one a number of times now and well pleased with the results. I would also recommend that you stick with a camera that comes as waterproof, rather than one which requires a housing. Just my opinion of course but it makes life a whole lot simpler. I also had an unfortunate incident with an expensive housing which cost me the camera inside.

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater camera.

I can also vouch for Canon D20, have had it for years and very pleased with it. Easy to use and takes excellent pictures and video clips underwater. Good luck and enjoy your trip :)

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underwater camera.

Another shout for the Canon D20. Bought one earlier this year and very happy with it. Takes good above ground shots too that I've even had enlarged onto canvas.

London
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underwater camera.

Kenny is spot on. Unless you go professional quality for thousands of dollars, the GoPro is a revolutionary product that has made all other underwater cameras obsolete. I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would buy anything other than the GoPro.

The GoPro is a bit pricier, but is much more capable than the Canon D20 in every way. One of the most prominent is depth. The Canon goes to 10m and the GoPro goes to 40m. If you ever think you might want to take up diving, then your Canon will be useless for your dive trips. It is also half the weight and half the size of the Canon.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underwater camera.

Can you use the go pro for normal happy snaps as toucans normal camera ?.. Does it have the normal functionality of a compact ?

London
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underwater camera.

Yes you can take snaps. Including time-lapse effects and continuous photo shoots. Seriously, GoPro is an another league.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com