We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biyadhoo at xmas

Potton, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Biyadhoo at xmas

We have booked biyadhoo from 16th December to the 31st 2014. Having been at this time of year to kurudo (beach bungalow ) Vilamendhoo ( JWV ) I now have concerns that this budget Island may not be to our taste , not worried about basic rooms but are they shabby and damp mouldy ! What's the bast room like etc. Also hoping it isn't like Benidorm any reassurance would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Vilamendhoo
Vilamendhoo
Southern Ari Atoll
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biyadhoo at xmas

We had 83 and 84 . Our daughters room had been newly decorated and new aircon and was really rather nice . Ours was good enough too... Clean, no mould , a bit like a Caribbean 3 star room. Others have had different experiences but we had no complaints other than the white wine lol

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biyadhoo at xmas

I've not been and don't fancy it to be honest, but it doubt anyone would describe it as benidorm.

I'm not sure of the wisdom of asking what the best room is like,,,maybe you should ask what the worst one is like and what an average one is like. The odds of getting the best one at peak period could be low.

Many people love the island, many would rather stab themselves in the eye than go back. Hence why it's called the marmite island.

What made you pick biya? It's very different to Vila and kuredu.

Ps, it's still the Maldives at Xmas,,,:-))

Mentioned in this post
Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biyadhoo at xmas

I've debated biyadhoo incessantly but its the basic food and rooms in blocks that ultimately put me off.

Knowing what you've switched from, and a few of the places you've been, I have to say I'm surprised you went for it.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biyadhoo at xmas

The rooms are clean but no hot water for the bathroom sink for a shave unless you boil the kettle and the lights are a bit poor for reading , when we have stayed our room was infested a few times by flying ant type creatures. The main beach is littered with plastic sunbeds (a bit benadormish don't know I've never been) a lot of which are not used so could be stacked up in the undergrowth or taken away all together. Next to no entertainment at night, Christmas might be different. Sometimes some loud people sometimes not you get that everywhere. To be honest if you have these worries now it's my opinion you should think of changing islands.

Potton, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biyadhoo at xmas

Thanks john and froggy, I know all the rooms are the same basic but clean. Booked because needed a maldives fix at xmas and changed a kuoni booking in Thailand to here to save cash. Like the natural laid back vibe described on kuoni and TA , Good REEF a top priority at least as good as Vila .

There were things we dint like at Vila particularly the big bar that was like Benidorm .

We were in a water Vila Adults only end that wasn't adhered to. Anyway thought Vila was over priced for what you got. It didn't have that Wow factor when you arrived Like Kurudo has with its massive blue lagoon.

Or maybe that was just because it was our first trip that kurudo had that effect.

Mentioned in this post
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
Potton, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biyadhoo at xmas

Hi jody its all down to budget you know how expensive the layana is and only bb.

So we cut our budget and there is not a lot of choice at 5k AI at xmas any where

Let alone maldives

Ps hope you enjoyed your trip pics look fab

7. Re: Biyadhoo at xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:16