We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

Which South Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

I cannot decide which would be more worthwhile for my honeymoon in March. 10 nights at the Anantara (Water Villa) or 10 nights at the Hilton (Beach Villa) the costs are near enough similar. Just can't make the choice, we would like a water villa but a nice reef, but all in all I just want it to be perfect for us.

Please can anyone give some advice

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

Hi hitenk

If its a nice reef you want , read the posts of which there are many at the moment about Anantara and you will find that it doesnt have a close house reef and they charge $25 per person to take you out to it !!!!!, that would be a big no no for me

regards susie

United States
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

Take the Hilton! If a reef is actually important to you.

Among all the prizes that Kanthony was telling us the Hilton won I seriously doubt that they won "best house reef in the Maldives" but compared to Anantara its a no brainer.

The fact that Anantara actually has the audacity to charge people $25 a piece to provide a boat ride (that numerous 3* resorts including the one that occupied that island before they built the 5* Anantara provide for FREE) only adds coal to my personal fire as far as never giving them my money.

If you give the Anantara a year it will perhaps give the plants a chance to grow the staff a chance to figure out where the "house reef " is and the hotel management a chance to decide that charging $25 for a boat ride to the reef is pretty cheesy and probably brings them more bad press than whatever revenues it brings in.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,032 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

if you are in the least bit interested in the underwater world and money is not exactly flowing limitlessly, i would remind you that at anantara snorkeling only twice a day will cost you 100$ a day for two people . (25 per person, per trip) sooo.. 10 nites equals 1000$ that you just added to the price for your stay. call me cheap , but there is no way i would pay that kind of money for an activity that is free everywhere else .

also .. you might very well be so amazed by what you see when snorkeling that you are tempted to take up diving .. and if i understand that right , on anantara that would mean trecking to the other island every time... what a drag !

i suppose you guys are young and active , but i personally want to spend my vacation diving twice a day , snorkel or be lazy in between and not worry about how i get from here to there all the time ... i want things simple when paying 5 star prices, not be confronted with complicated logistics.

so... to make a long story short ... another vote for hilton from me .

it's a beautiful resort with solid performance, trained emplyees and luxury flair, not some up-and-coming new place that is still beta testing .

paris
Level Contributor
12 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

dear hitenk,been staying in both property the choice is difficult,the house reef is nice but again depend on which room you are staying at the hilton the bridge between the island is quiet long and if your room is on the opposit side that will be almost the same the walking or swimming to the reef at the anantara..small inconvenient as well is you need to take a flight to go to the hilton so you are loosing some precious time ,,,facilities are quiet similar except that anantara is new,hilton in the other hand have a great underground wine cellar and underwater restaurant,pool at the anantara is much nicer ,they are both great resort

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

Thanks for your help guys, I guess I might just let my Fiancee have the final say and let her read all your comments to make a informed decision. It is our honeymoon and I want it to be perfect....for me I'm swaying toward Hilton (it's established, the sea plane, reef) but the thought of having a water villa is still appealing

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

Not been to either or intend to go to either but to say you lose time getting a flight to Hilton is a little short-sighted - you may take a LITTLE longer to get there if you have to wait for a flight but the journey wouldn't be that long and you get the flight - an amazing experience in anyone's language and far more comfortable than bouncing around on a speedboat if the sea's choppy. I don't see the seaplane transfer as being detrimental to the Hilton - in fact it's a distinct advantage in may people's opinions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

hitenk - if you want another island recommendation to throw into the mix, I would suggest Mirihi for your honeymoon. You could easily afford a water bungalow there for much less than the Anantara/Hilton. I went a couple of years ago and it's fabulous. The service, food, rooms, reef, seaplane transfer (they have a private waiting room at male airport so the 30 min wait is not an issue) are all fab at Mirihi. We stayed for 10 days and had a fantastic time. They also have a great spa.

We are going to Anantara in November and am looking forward to it as I love water bungalows and do think they add an extra something.

I've been to the Maldives 5 times. I love the seaplanes transfer but I also really enjoy the speedboat and not sure what the other person was referring to with choppy transfers.... maybe I've been lucky but whenever I've gone I haven't experienced choppy seas.

It's entirely a personal choice for your honeymoon but I would want something truly Maldivian, fab beaches, great service etc and think the Hilton could be a little impersonal. Seriously, take a look at Mirihi - I am picky about hotels,service etc and travel a lot and I couldn't find anything to pick fault with at all. I highly recommend it.

Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

The disadvantage of seaplane transfers to and from resorts such as the Hilton is that when you are actually on the resort these seaplanes are taking off and landing every couple of hours next to the swimming pool area. Also there was a lot of petrol fumes around the swimming pool area from the planes, boats and motorized water sports. Not a problem though if your villa is on the reef side of the island and you like to sunbathe on the beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

On Mirihi for definite the landing platform for the seaplane was just off the island and there were only ever maximum 2 flights landing/taking off per day and it was interesting to watch if you were at that end of the island... although the landing platform was at the opposite end of the (small) island from the water bungalows anyway.

Really not an issue or even remotely noisy, dirty, polluting or inconveniencing!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost in Confusion...Anantara Vs. Hilton

We transferred to Cocoa on a really fabulous motor yacht but we went down the OUTSIDE of South Male atoll rather than inside and it was June. The boat did a few very large bounces and crashes and my husband had a very painful back for a couple of days. I was trying to anticipate the crashes and lift off the seat as I have had surgery on my spine in the past and didn't want to have to be airlifted home before my holiday started. Luckily I avoided any damage but was rather apprehensive about the trip back to the airport. If your transfer is within an atoll there would probably not be a problem but going to Anantara would involve crossing the Vadoo Channel and may well go down the outside.

We met a German windsurfing instructor many years ago whose mother and her friend came to visit her at her resort in South Male atoll. They were transferred on a speedboat which turned over in the Vadoo Channel after several large waves on the trot and 2x70+ year old women were left floating in their life jackets along with the boat driver, for a couple of hours. Lucky the boatman managed to warn them to put the lifejackets on just before the last wave turned them over. Their luggage was being washed up at nearby islands for a couple of weeks.

All in all I love the seaplane transfers for the views and it's a great experience but failing that, within an atoll I'd much prefer a nice dhoni trip where I can lie and nod off on the flat bit but under the roof (if there's a downstairs) or just sit at the side getting the breeze and watching for dolphins if there isn't.