We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Equipment Allowance

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Diving Equipment Allowance

Hi

Anyone know whether Emirates give you additional diving alowance?

I can't find anything on their website.

Happy to pay if required.

Also does the seaplane allow for additional dive equipemnt of just 20kg?

Thanks

Sarah

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Hi

Not sure about emirates but the seaplane is only 20K you will have to pay excess baggage but it is very cheap $2 per kilo over weight

regards susie

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Hi Sarah

Emirates used to allow 10Kg if you were a qualified diver, but they have scrapped it now.

Someone posted on TA a couple of days ago and said that if you contact Emirates you can pay £50 to pre-book the extra allowance. I'm going to be looking into this as we'll be flying with Emirates in July, as I believe their excess baggage charges are about £35 per kilo.

Whenever we've been in the past we've been over 20Kg each and had no problem with the seaplane. On 2 occasions we weren't charged anything, on the other we were charged $2 per kilo.

Regards

Ian

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Hi Sarah!

We're flying with Emirates in May with dive equipment and have to pay 70 Euros (each of us...) for extra 10 kg. And you'll have to announce to Emirates that you have diving equipment before you fly.

As for the seaplane: They allow 20 kg + 5 kg hand luggage. For each kg over 25 kg you'll have to pay 2 Dollars - but maybe you're lucky and you don't have to pay ;-)

Greetings,

Nicole

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Hi Sarah

According to the Emirates website diving gear counts towards your normal luggage allowance. Their quoted excess rates are £25 a kilo.

Having said this I have seen several different threads, as here, where posters have mentioned this 10 kilo allowance for £50 (70 euros).

Suggest you make contact with Emirates.

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Hi there. Emirates do not publish this, but my local dive Club has said that there was a backlash when they removed the sports allowance. Therefore with prior notice to Emirates you can arrange for a sports allowance. It costs £50 for 10k.

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Emirates have taken the dive allowance off - an extra 10kg free, but you can get the 10kgs extra for £50 as other posters have said but this must be booked in advance.

Each time we have been on the seaplane our bags have been heavier than 20kgs but never been charged. However I would be happy to pay as I think if you are using it you should pay for it.

Softail

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Hi Everyone

Has anyone flying with Emirates as an individual, not arranged via a club booked the extra 10Kg for £50? I've just spoken to a very helpful lady from Emirates on some other matters and she checked and said it isn't is not possible.

If anyone who has successfully booked this could let us know which department they spoke to, or the phone number they rang, it would be a great help.

Thanks

Ian

Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Hi

Just thought I would mention this for forum divers.

First Choice used to give 10k with a letter from their reservations and on prodution of your dive card at check in. Since merging with Thomson this has been reduced to 5k.

Scuba Diva

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

Looks like I will be wearing my BCD and fins for travelling in future!!LOL

Softail

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving Equipment Allowance

I saw a couple with their regs round their necks when we travelled in December. Very attractive, tied into a loop and strung around the neck. It probably saved 4k.

Get answers to your questions about Lhaviyani Atoll