We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Which Lhaviyani Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rothbury, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, and unfortunately it's to ask about something that I think could be a little problem!

Yesterday we booked to go to Komandoo, and went to sleep very happy last night, dreaming of snuggling up in white sands...

I had read a lot of the reports on here, which had helped make our minds UP. But I've just read something that I know we won't like...is it true that there are no drinks allowed outside of the bars and restaurants???? We like our own company a lot (which I guess is true of most people who go to Komandoo, the quietness and romance is a huge part of it) and were dreaming of sitting outside our hut, with a glass or two of wine, or a beer. Is it true that if we want a drink we HAVE to sit in the bar? Can we even take soft drinks out? Can we take a nice bottle of wine or champagne from the bar and drink it in or outside our place? We hadn't even envisaged sitting in the bar every night after dinner, but thought we may go back to our room and sit on the beach with some wine. It may seem like a trivial thing but if we have to leave our villa, and sit in the bar to have a drink that just sounds so inconvenient to me.

If you are on Gold AI and have a minibar can you drink them outside your room? Is it replenished whenever you like?

Please can those of you who have been there tell me how this works out in practice? We are on the normal AI (it was a free upgrade with our fullboard), and hadn't really thought it was worth getting a Gold upgrade as contrary to how this post sounds we are not huge drinkers!!!! But maybe if we're allowed drinks in our room on that it may be worth aying - but probably for the price they offer when we get there, rather than the amount our tour operator is asking!!!

Please let me have some honest answers! I'm hoping they're the ones I want as I wnat to get all excited again about going! Thank you!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Hi eponadeb

I'm not sure the answer I'm going to give is up to date, as our last visit was in Feb 08, prior to AI Gold.

When we were there you could take a couple of beers or soft drinks to your room. We did it a few times, as we did on our first visit in 2006.

I don't think you could take wine, but we didn't drink it so can't comment. I've seen it posted recently that you now can't do this, so whether it has changed since we were there, or we were just lucky I don't know.

The contents of the mini bar are included in AI Gold, which I understand is replenished daily.

When we've been there, even though fully booked, the bar never really got that crowded, and you can sit outside the bar on the decking.

Hope it doesn't spoil your visit - Komandoo is a lovely island and the staff are brilliant.

regards

Ian

Bristol
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

There is a notice in the bar requesting that guests do not tak drinks outside the bar area. I think that on Gold AI you can use your mini bar and it will be replenished daily, having said that, we also prefer to keep ourselves to ourselves, but found the bar decking such a lovely place to sit, being right at the waters edge that it was never a problem, the waiters are also discreet having a feel for who likes a chat and who prefer their own company. Please don't worry I would be willing to bet that you will feel the same when you get there, have a wonderful time, it's a lovely island.

cumbria
Level Contributor
77 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

We also stayed at Komandoo last year but in August. As we were in a water villa it was a long walk to get a drink in the bar so being on Gold AI would therefore be a bonus it wasn't available for us at the time. We bought bottles of wine and you can carry those back to your room BUT no drinks in glasses could be taken out of the bar - even round to the restaurant in case of accident. Remember 'no news no shoes'. It put us off so much that we are going back again this year!!!! You will have a brilliant time - the bar is not at all a busy place and you can find privacy if you want.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

You are correct in your assumptions but sadly I think it’s a bit more to do with money (and making more) with the drinks situation, to encourage people to spend more by using their mini bar. We were on Gold AI in April and found it to be good value for us-your mini bar is refilled daily however this does not include the wine cooler in your room where the wine was very expensive so I’d imagine to buy a bottle from the bar to take back would also be pricey.

The mini bar isn’t the only thing you get inc as part of Gold AI you also get a meal per week at Aqua-absolutely superb, an intro or check up dive and a massage. TBH the island is tiny and if you’re not in the water villas the bar isn’t too far away but I do see where you’re coming form with being able to sit out outside your room with a drink. No idea how much it costs to upgrade to Gold AI but you’ll get good value if you like you cocktails!

Rothbury, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really appreciated. I feel quite a bit better knowing that this didn't spoil the experience for you, and am hopeful that everything will be so perfect that we really won't care. I just keep thinking things like - what if I'm sunbathing and simply get thirsty and want a pepsi or something...I'll have to pull some clothes on over my swimsuit, go to the bar, sit and drink it down rather than sip slowly while sunbathing on the beach. Seems odd to me. And no nightcap in the room when you get back from the bar at night. But I shall trust you all!

I think I'll email the hotel and get a copy of their wine list for prices so we can budget, especially if a bottle can betaken back to the room.

benji,I've been trying to find out the prices of the things you get thrown in with the Gold so I can do a comparison of worth. We would intend to eat in the a la carte place at least once - their site says Gold includes a meal there once every week of our stay - we're staying 13 nights even though it's a 14 day holiday - I wonder if they'll honour that as 2 weeks or be a bit stingy and say the 2nd one isn't a full week?

So, I'd be interested to know how much the meal there would cost us normally, and how much those spa treatments would be....add them to the price of a possible cocktail or two a day and balance it with the minibar situation. Oh, of course I need to know what the resort charges on arrival for upgrade from standard AI to Gold - the lowest I was quoted from my agent was £45 pppd. If anyone knows the answers to any of those I'd be most grateful!

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
717 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Hi at christmas hubbie and i did the Gold package for that very reason. You can have anything you like out the mini-bar, for us its a couple of hours pre dinner where we like a g n t or a wine. All snacks and choc free too. Filled each day and a decent choice of beer, mini wines gin whisky rum baileys etc. Also a wine cooler in your room with a choice of 5 bottles i think, but these must be paid for. We just used the mini wines and spirits.

Dinner in the a la carte makes a nice change (dont let them tell you they dont do chips with the steak)its a limited menu of 2/3 starters and main and dessert but we enjoyed both our visits. If you drink wine by the glass again its free. Another couple ate there one night and there meal was equivalent £175.

Free treatment each week in the spa too value for each about £40, free dive each, and you get the branded drinks and your choice of cocktails in the bar which the A1 doesnt get. All in all we were very glad we did it. Best advice is suck it and see, we changed to gold on day 2 with no penalties ie only 12 days, you will love komandoo, its every bit as good as it looks on the pics.

Advice........tip the bar guys day one! We never had to order another drink hardly the whole stay

Rothbury, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Thanks RosieandIan! That's great info!! A nother couple who like their late afternoon tipple! How much was it to upgrade from standard to Gold when you're there? It surely can't be the same price as upgrading from FB??

Rothbury, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Ooops, sorry to change your name rosieandjan! The little line underneath made it look like Ian!

Rothbury, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Well, the more I read through the reviews, the more unhappy I am with this issue of having to go to the bar to get a drink and consume it there, or pay an extortionate amount for your minibar (including coffee??). I really did feel I'd done my research before but as I'm a newbie to the Maldives it didn't even cross my mind to reasearch about that.

I emailed Komandoo and they stated it would be $55 a day per person to upgrade to Gold from standard, which works out at around £900 for us for the fortnight. Considering we'll be buying bottles of wine on top of that, because we really like wine with our food, or as an aperitif (and reviews of the wine available by the glass on AI aren't favourable!)that's a hefty amount of money for the privelege of drinking in or outside your own hotel room. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm moaning...maybe this is the price we pay for our main priority being a quiet romantic island with no organised activities :( Feeling quite sad now. Though of course I know I'll enjoy it when I get there, I already feel there's something missing.

Ok, pity party over!

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
717 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Komandoo - no drinks outside bar?? Is it true????

Deb really stop getting in a state over this! You are off to paradise. Trust me the setting in the bar and on the deck is idyllic, and the thought of trudging back and forth to the bar to get drinks to take back to your room is a no no. You will be so chilled out after 2 days it will be all you can do to stagger to the bar from the comfort of a bar chair LOL.

Trust me the wine is more than drinkable ( and I am rather fussy about my wine) Its all the better for being free! i did not buy a bottle the whole time we were there. There is a choice of ice cold beers and great cocktails!

I think it was $90 a day at christmas to upgrade, as I said it suited us, it certainly didnt suit everyone. You asked about a la carte, it was a meal each per week, also a spa treatment each per week....some of the very best we have ever had, a beautiful spa.

There is a middle ground, just go with the A1 and pay for the odd bottle wine or drink from hte mini bar. But whatever you do stop stressing!!

You are gonna love it.....................you can start stressing only if and when the drink runs out!!!!!!!!! Jan AKA Ian

Get answers to your questions about Lhaviyani Atoll