We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bites certain time of year?

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Bites certain time of year?

Does anyone know if u get mossie and sand fly bittern more at certain times of year e.g rainy season.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bites certain time of year?

Hi Diana

Yes this is the case

Regards

Doug

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bites certain time of year?

Hi Diana

If you are usually a target for little biting critters I would take precautions whatever the season.

OD

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bites certain time of year?

Helpful, am going in feb, is this more bites or less bites please?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bites certain time of year?

depends a lot of the weather (rainshowers, even at night will bring on the critters .. and your accomodation. the more bushes and scrubs around your room, the more mosquitos .. and obviously more sand fleas and ants in the land based villas than over waters .

the further off the land your watervilla is , the less flying things will reach you.

make sure to be nice to geckos in your room - they save your hide at night :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bites certain time of year?

Theoretically and this IS only theoretically, there should be less mozzies in Feb than say, July. However, as other posters have said, a: if you are a mozzie magnet, (like me) you will be bitten whatever the season and regardless of the weather; b; the position and type of room makes a difference as to whether you actually notice their presence (rather than them actually being there); c; it still rains during the dry season. My worst holiday in terms of bites was actually during the dry season, so as I said, all of this is a bit theoretical.

SL

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bites certain time of year?

Not sure if this info is helpful or not now, will just have to go with the flo. Tablets be 4 go, plenty of deet a touch of the old avon stuff and not wear perfume, any more hints folks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bites certain time of year?

I've added the following to your already fairly comprehensive arsenal:

Perfume free showergel, shampoo, conditioner

Odourless garlic capsules for 1 week before we go and then throughout the stay

A homeopathic remedy I got from my local practitioner (I swear it was this that made the difference earlier this year as it was the only 'extra' to my normal list - this was a Feb visit as well). Not sure exactly what it is called .

Use mozzie repellant throughout the day, not just the evening as pretty sure it's sand things as well as mozzies that actually cause the problem

Sit near someone smoking a cigar! I can do that as I have no sense of smell!

Take plenty of antihistamine tablets and calming cream for when you do get bitten. I've found Hypercal very soothing and use both Citirizine and Piriton together when it gets really bad.

Sounds a nightmare, but has never affected my enjoyment of the holiday.

Have a good time

SL

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bites certain time of year?

Garlic tablets before and during visit (odourless)

and Calcium tabs also helps prickly heat.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bites certain time of year?

Hi Diana

Some people swear by Vitamin B tablets as well.

OD

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bites certain time of year?

Wow u have all been so brilliant with info , may well come back bite free , one thing I may struggle to give up is the red wine, have heard they are attracted to the old vino.

Get answers to your questions about Lhaviyani Atoll
Recent Conversations