We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanuhura

Which Lhaviyani Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Kanuhura

Decision made - my first trip to the Maldives in March 2014 will be to Kanuhura. I'm sure it will be a fantastic holiday, re the reviews on TA, Holidaycheck and TUI. Review will sure be there as soon as I'm back, but almost a year to go ... Any tips from those who already stayed there appreciated. Thanks to all who helped to decide from so many beautiful options & happy holidays!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Kanuhura

Thanks for the link - this is very interesting! :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Kanuhura

Hi Froggy

Are we looking at the same document (I am opening your link)? Page 20 is mode of trip organisation and source of information. Page 21 is about types of groups and nowhwere does is mention 1% under 18s?

Back to work now ...

Karla

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Kanuhura

Karla

The pie charrt on page 13 which does show 0 - 18 year olds 1% (figure 4) however it would be interesting to know how many people did NOT respond to the survey - what are these figures based on?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Kanuhura

Sorry,,must be my PDF reader on iPad, getting the pages muddled up. It tells me page 20.

Heather, robin also posted a link to the official government stats, which said 4 percent under the age of 14 and 4 percent between 14 and 24 years old...so I would say that is more accurate, hence why I am aiming in the five percent or less range. Whichever number it is, it's not big.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Kanuhura

Ah, I see where the confusion arose!

Figure 4 is about survey respondents ie tourists and others visitors approached by those conducting the survey. Inevitably the odd one will be under 18. It does not show what type of family group holiday in the Maldives. This is on p 21 and yes it is based on a very high survey sample which is statistically significant. Therefore, 10% of groups are children but taking number of children into account (compared to adults) children make up just under 20% of international visitors.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Kanuhura

I don't understand your logic Karla, and the number is incredibly high.

Children are not necessarily under 18 and families can mean a number of things ie sister, brother, aunt etc, as such the age profile, rather than how you define your family or the fact someone is your child is more relevant.

To give an example, if I go away with my father, he would still say he is travelling with his child, and I shall always be his child, no matter my age. So the age profile is more pertinent than assumptions on what a child is.

The official government stats put it at 4 percent, I would be absolutletly gobsmacked if the number was 20 percent, and if so why the government and the hotels have it so very very wrong. 4 or five percent sounds right.

Twenty percent, is not something I have ever seen on any island, even on the family orientated ones and during school holidays.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Kanuhura

i would classify children as under 18s going on holiday with their parents.

regardless of figures, if i had to estimate the amount of children who go on holiday in the maldives, based on personal experience and general knowledge and researching islands/reading rewiews I would say it varies according to the time of year and maybe between 2 - 4 percent tops in terms of overall visitor numbers. Never seen more than 2 or 3 kids on any island so far (but then again, some of those islands would be marketed as couples/honeymoon islands but they still had a couple of kids on)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Kanuhura

It's not "my logic" just trying to explain the survey which you provided the link to, but clearly I failed ... The figures on p21 distinguish between different types of groups and the one I cited only looked at with and without children - not groups of adults which other figures on page do.

It is a survey based on actual visitors not on anecdotal 'evidence' and like a lot of research can fly in face of people's beliefs - though in this case pretty much confirmed our experiences lol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Kanuhura

I think it's easier just to base it on the age profile, as that seems a pretty clear indicator. there is also official government stats, that has it at 4 percent, which I would say is realistic. If I get a chance I will dig it out.

Honestly Karla if you are experiencing 20 percent or so, that's really very, very unusual. That's like saying when you went to mirihi it was fully booked and their was 20 children on the island? You must be like the pied piper.

I've never seen more than a handful anywhere and I've only been to big islands, so a tiny percentage.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Kanuhura

If you look further down that document into the annexe you will find that these figures are based on a survey of 3680 people of which 37 were under the age of 18 which is around 1.05% . This was out of total arrivals of 568,536 (also given in the annexe) so I'm not sure you can easily extrapollate that percentage upwards to be representative of all because there is nothing in the survey to suggest that those polled were a representative crossection.

If you want to assume it is representative then of the total visitors (568,536) you need to deduct 90% (those identified as arriving without children) leaving 56853 of which 1.05% are supposedly children = 596 children arriving in the survey period...........

Froggy/Karla - there are 2 x page 20 in that document - the purple number 20 on the side of the page and the page 20 highlighted by your cursor at the bottom - purple page 20 equals page 27 in the numbering at the bottom of the page - are you both on the same page? ;-))

Judy - sorry for hijacking your thread - I doubt very much that children will disturb you much - our experience of them in the Maldives has been very low key but it could be that we have been lucky. I hope you have a great holiday!