We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Warrington
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Hello All,

My girlfriend and I book a 2 week holiday to Meeru in May for 2 weeks. However this week it has all been in doubt as our travel agent told us that there is only 4 hours of Sun in May!!!

Could anyone please tell me if this is true, i dont understand why they failed to tell us this 4 months ago when we booked, as we would have booked it on another date!

They said there is only 4 hours of sun a day, and its mostly rain in May! I am GUTTED! i cant believe this, a holiday of a lifetime!

Can anyone help and tell me what to expect in May regards the weather, please!

Thank you all for your info!

Paul

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Hi 2004

You have been told a load of rubbish--polite word, we have been 3 times in may and you have sunshine from early morning until about 5-30 6 pm, as for rain, yes May is the very start of the rainy season, but dont let that put you of it could or could not rain, if it does it tends to be mostly of a night or 1 cloud wonders that come over , drop for 10 mins then gone , its still hot hot hot with sun and you still get a tan, we go out on the 30th May so that says a lot, do not worry and go back to your agent and kick his / hera Arssss.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rumps

Warrington
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Thanks for the reply.

So its not true about the 4 hours on sunlight in May then? Im trying to convince my girlfriend that it is ok to go in May, but she keeps saying its a lot of money to pay to risk having only 4 hours sunlight etc. Its just that she read it in the travel agents brochure and rang them up and they confirmed this. I know its going to rain now and again, we went Dominican last year and it was in 10 minute burst, mostly at night!

So in May there is nothing to worry about and there will be lots of sun, more than 4 hours and will have a great time!?

Its nice to hear that, i was so worried that our holiday was ruined! Hopefully more members can give some info to confirm this even more to my unsure girlfriend!!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Herts
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

How can there only be 4 hours of sun a day in the Maldives?? - you are staying on the equator not at one of the poles!!!! Ignore what you have been told - your agent has no clue Im afraid and maybe needs to do some geographical research. I agree with Rumps - May is a good time to go as even though start of rainy season, rain is still very limited and the temperature will still be high 20s/ low 30s. Dont worry about it and go and have a great time!!!! Regards, Pufferfish

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Nothing to worry about as said going ourselves in May Long lazy sunny days in paradise, not that im up that early but the sun shines from 7 am ish until as again said 4-30 to 6 pm , depending if north or south, some of the island are 1 hour ahead from others depends on whose near the Equator.always a poss re rain but they are having rain in the dry season and none in the wet, dont get me wrong it may rain , but look at it this way you can only get wet once , and as your in the water 5/6 hours a day what the heck, plenty of shelter if it does under the thatch canopys so can still sit out,, still hot still sunny , as Ricky Tomlispon says 4 hours my Arsss, sent a pm, if you want to talk or your girl frien to my wife.

Cheers

Rumps

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Hi Paul

As the others have said, your travel agent has told you an absolute load of rubbish, you will get plenty of sunshine.

Your travel agent certainly needs to do his or her homework, there is no part of the year in the Maldives that gets so little sun as 4 hrs a day.

Just go believe me you will love it.

Glenys

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Paul

Just to confirm we always go May/June and are going again this year. Most days you can be on the beach by 0800 if you so wish and not come in til 1800. Temps have ranged from late 20's to Mid 30's in fact last year the water for diving was around 26/28 which is warm. In the last 3 years yes- we have had some rain, its a risk you take going at this time to make the price more affordble but this has was either overnight sharp heavy bursts twice, a couple of showers in the day and 2 times for over a hour in the afternoon last year but remember it is still warm, so out of 42 days holiday I dont consider that at all bad.

Just enjoy and its beats the dom rep hands down

Sg

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

We have been in May and had brilliant weather. There is a chance that you will get a lot of rain as well, but on average I'm sure you'll get more than 4 hrs sun per day!

Have a look at:

http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/

If you click on "climate" at the top of the page you'll be able to look at detailed month by month weather records.

Ian

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

your girlfriend is right, it's too much money to risk, it may rain and it may not, that is true, but no-one can guarantee sunshine nor that the rain will go away in 10 mins. There are people who also had 1 week non-stop storms and rain. If you want to play it safe, go in the safest months which are February and March. If you can't go in these months, then stop worrying about it and go and enjoy. Even it rains the whole time, it will still be beautiful.

Warrington
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Looking at the http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/ climate website, it does seem like its not the best time to go and would suggest A LOT of rain!

But overall its seems that the the majority of people here think May will be fine. Its best to get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I think we will end up going, but i still think shes unsure, just don't want to get there and for it for be non stop rain and cloud, thats why we want to go on holiday for relaxing in the sun and to get away from the rain here in England!

Overall would it be like the weather here... rain and cloud, or would it be bits of rain and mostly sun?

I loved the Dominican as we had this issue last year about the weather, said it was all thunderstorms, we had one in the 2 weeks, but the holiday was amazing! Completely the opposite to what we heard before we went about the weather etc. Is there nothing to worry about then!

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Maldives in May, please help!!

Then take it like the Dom Rep, although ive been no way in the world as good as Mdvs, as ive said in last posts , hot , hot , hot , sun, sun , sun, you will love it , again May is not the best but its also not the worst, Go Go Go for it, its the best place on earth.

Rumps

Get answers to your questions about Meemu Atoll