We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monarch

essex
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
monarch

Hi i wondered if anyone could help I am flying on 7th July to Chayaa Lagoon i booked with TC and have just been informed that the flight has now been changed that we are now being diverted to Manchester from Gatwick as the plane is only half fall from Gatwick has this happened to anyone else if so do i have any rights where this is concerned as i booked the holiday on the understanding that it was a direct flight i am now considering cancelling the holiday. Help please

essex
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: monarch

the flight time leaving hasn't changed but the arrival time has we where due to arrive at 12.30 now arrive 14.40 and the departing time has we now land at gatwick at 1.30 in the morning instead of 9.30 in the evening so hard for someone to pick us up now not happy

Cornwall
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: monarch

Glitter, where did you get the return flight details from???

Our letter states return flights will remain the same.

essex
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: monarch

i got them on the letter that i recieved today original departure time was leave male'14.30 arrive gatwick 21.20 now it is leave male' 16.40 arrive gatwick 1.30am

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: monarch

Hi

my tickets just arrived ,stating Gatwick to Male via Manchester.Way back is direct to Gatwick so i presume that it goes on to Manchester.Perhaps they like to even the wait for both sets of passengers?.

Original booking showed 2.30 from Male getting to Gatwick 9.20pm and now shows leaving Male 16.40 and landing Gatwick 23.25 ?? .

They used to go direct Gatwick to Male a few years back but i dont think you will find out till it happens as i dont actually think they know !!!

cfc

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: monarch

Good old Monarch Lol.

Our plane left Male 2 hrs later than what our tickets said but had no letter beforehand, but one person we spoke to had received a letter.

Don't think they know what they are doing themselves, but nevertheless the flight was fine and the staff brilliant, and it is a ways and means of getting to paradise.

Glenys

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: monarch

Hi cfc

I reckon it must depend on where they are dropping off the flight staff, cos our flight in Feb stopped at Manchester first on the way back also, and then onto Gatwick.

But we actually knew this also at the time of booking.

I reckon they must swap around to suit themselves.

Glenys

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: monarch

Hi Glenys

true im sure but as you say its a means to an end.

cfc x

Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: monarch

We're just back from the Maldives this week and it was an awful flight with Monarch.

A few weeks ago Airtours wrote saying that the flight would be via Manchester both ways. The letter gave a customer service number that was IMPOSSIBLE to get through to as you got a message saying operators are busy please call later and then cut you off. I called dozens of times before I gave up.

I tried Thomas Cook and was told I would have to talk to Airtours direct even though it was TC that we had paid the balance due on our holiday as Airtours never contacted us for payment and we had to contact TC ourselves to pay.

We then received a second letter saying that the flight would be direct from Gatwick and via Manchester on the inbound flight.

I should have known better than to book with Airtours

after they overbooked last year and we didn't get to go to Vakaru. but we were really keen to visit Vakaru. before it closed and First Choice was booked out.

On the day we flew out we got to Gatwick with loads of time to spare and were told at check in that there was a three hour delay due to a technical fault. That's fair enough these things happen. We were given a four pound voucher for refreshments.

We departed Gatwick at 2130 instead of 1820 and flew to Manchester despite the letter saying that we wouldn't. Just after take off the Captain came on and told us that the plane did NOT have a technical fault and that in fact it was a schedule change that had been known about for WEEKS but somehow no one had bothered to tell the Gatwick passengers!!! From his wording I felt that the Manchester passengers had been informed. He seemed quite annoyed about it himself.

The seats on Monarch are tiny about the same as Ryanair so it was not a comfortable flight. The cabin crew were very nice and helpful.

On our return the flight was delayed by half an hour and when we got on board the ground air con was not working. We were told there was a slight delay due to paperwork problems. Then we sat in sweltering heat on the ground for almost an hour (50 minutes) as we all sweated buckets - so much for changing into clean clothes for the flight. One passenger collapsed and a call was put out for a doctor. The crew member dealing with the passenger just waved a brochure about as a fan and didn't seem to know what to do. A glass of water might have helped. Oxygen was given to the passenger.

I came out in a heat rash which was funny as I often get one in the Maldives but it disappears as soon as the plane takes off. This year I didn't really get any until I was stuck on the plane when one appeared on my arms, tummy etc. Very uncomfortable.

Once we took off we didn't get to have a drink until an hour and a half into the flight.

The inflight entertainment as always was hopeless with repeats of Yes Prime Minister and some dreadful movie.

The flight to Manchester was 11 hours and once there we were told we would be on the ground for one hour but actually we were on the ground for almost two hours - one hour 45 minutes and then almost an hour back to Gatwick.

This meant that the ten hour direct flight we had booked turned out to be 14 hours. Our original arrival time at Gatwick when we booked was approx 2130 and we ended up leaving Gatwick for home at 4am.

The only thing that sold Monarch to us was the DIRECT 10 hour flight and then only when we couldn't get First Choice. If I wanted to hang about for an extra 4 hours I would have booked a scheduled airline and had some comfort.

I said before that I would NEVER go with Monarch again but went back on it but this time I mean it.

We could put up with the tiny seats and poor inflight entertainment but not the addition of 4 hours on to our flight.

Siobhan

Southern Ireland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: monarch

Hi, we have just returned from the Maldives with Monarch on Tuesday this week and can also confirm that our Gatwick flight was via Manchester both ways ! When we booked 18 months ago it was a direct flight. It would seem that Monarch suit themselves as to whether they go direct or via Manchester, depending on the number of people going.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but another thing I would say is that we were also meant to be going to Hakuraa with Thomas Cook but got a letter 3 weeks before departure informing us that they were overbooked and we were being re-located to Meeru Island Resort. This did not give us enought time to cancel and rebook wit any other tour operator - so good luck - I am totally disgusted with Thomas Cook, especially as other people on our flight went to Hakuraa !!

Hope it turns out OK for you. Sunskipper57

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: monarch

Siobhan,

I was so sorry to read about your awful journey, it's so wrong the way Thomas Cook and Monarch mess people about to suit themselves.

The first time we went to the Maldives we booked through T.C and flew Monarch (innocents abroad !) it was just as bad as your journey.... from booking with T.C who lied through their teeth to stop us changing to an alternative airline to the delights !!! of flying with Monarch, the worst airline in the skies.

We swore then we would never,ever fly with them or book with T.C again, we've stuck with that I'm glad to say after reading your tale and we always advise friends and workmates going to the Maldives not to use these two companies and I'm glad to say they don't, we gladly point them in the direction of real airlines and travel agents instead of Mickey Mouse set ups.

I hope it won't put you off going again....just don't use those amateurs next time.

Get answers to your questions about Meemu Atoll