We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving at Medhufushi

London, England
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Diving at Medhufushi

Has anyone been diving at the Medhufushi? Is there a house reef? Are there dive sites to go to even if the weather is bad? We went to Filitheyo last year and the diving was great. Even though it was raining constantly we went diving every day to various sites and in addition the house reef is just stunning. Should we go to Medhufushi this year or stick to Filitheyo?

kildare
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving at Medhufushi

Hi MyrtG

As you can tell from all the replies there is not much info on diving in Medhufushi we are going in June so i had to do my own research on there website. There is no house reef to speak of you get a boat to it they seam to have a lot of good dive sites tho. If you go to this site it is the diving centre on Medhufushi they appear to be very professionalMedhufushi Island Resort

Phone : ++960 - 672 00 26

Fax : ++960 - 672 00 27

Island : < medhufushi@aaa.com.mv >

Divingcenter : < medhufushi@wernerlau.com >

Hope this helps

Loraine

Hope this helps

London, England
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving at Medhufushi

Thanks Loraine,

Werner Lau are running the dive centre at Filitheyo too, where we went last year and I can tell you that they are absolutely fantastic. Extremely organised dive centre, the best I've seen!!! I'm just wondering if I'll miss the house reef for snorkelling after the dives of the day...

kildare
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving at Medhufushi

We went to Reethi Beach last year and they had a house reef but we didnt use it at all, It sounds like you like your diving like us so after a days diving all we wanted to do was relax so a house reef is not that important to us the diving at Reethi Beach was very dissapointing we done 26 dives in 2 weeks and although we saw the beautyful manta thats all we saw.So Medhufushi is quite remote so hoping to see lots there enjoy yourselfs what ever island you decide to go to as you really have to when you go to the Maldives

regards

Loraine

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving at Medhufushi

The diving from Medhu is some of the best we've experienced in the Maldives. As others have said it's run by Werner Lau and Ingrid and Laurent who are now the base leaders are brilliant. Ingrid really helped me conquer my nerves as at the time I was quite new to diving. There are some excellent sites. I did 18 dives and only about three were repeat sites. There is no house reef, but that's fine as usually one would only dive the house reef once in any case. There were some quite fast drift sites outside the atoll and the channel out of the atol is just next to the island so it's easy to get to those. They were my husband's favourite sites as they tended to be the shark ones, but I preferred the inner atoll ones - lots of thilas. The best thing about the atoll is there is only one other tourist resort so we never saw another dive boat!

London, England
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving at Medhufushi

Thanks for the replies guys!! Sounds great. I think I read somewhere about a lagoon at Medhufushi where you can snorkel. Is that true? Is it any good?

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving at Medhufushi

There is a fantastic lagoon and it is great for swimming. People do shorkel there, but as it's a lagoon there's not that much to see. However, you might see something if you go down to the bottom of the island by the water bungalows.

Have a great time!

7. Re: Diving at Medhufushi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Meemu Atoll