We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medhufushi or Filitheyo?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Medhufushi or Filitheyo?

Planning a vacation to the Maldives. Comfort is important, however so is snorkeling. I know Filitheyo has a house reef whereas Medhufushi does not, but they have daily snorkeling trips. What are these snorkeling trips like? Are they worth foregoing a house reef? Has anyone experienced both places?

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medhufushi or Filitheyo?

Been to both and if snorkeling is important then Filitheyo is the one to go to. I always like to be able to go snorkeling as and when I like and not be tied down to a boat trip hence I would choose Filitheyo

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medhufushi or Filitheyo?

Filitheyo is a lovely island with a reasonable house reef although its not luxurious and there's only the buffet and one a la carte restaurant. I guess it depends on your criteria and budget and availability if you only have the choice of these 2 islands? There are better house reefs in a similar price range for example Vilamendhoo but its larger and busier.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medhufushi or Filitheyo?

thanks for your responses. we are somewhat limited by what is offered online thru the US travel websites (ie Orbtz, exped, travelocty). booking hotel and air separately is double the price! unfortunately vilamendhoo is not offered.

do understand being held to a boat schedule is somewhat limiting. i dont want to have to get up early and fight for a spot on the snorkel boat. is that what it's like?

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medhufushi or Filitheyo?

Filitheyo, of course. More beautiful island, much much better snorkeling. You don't go to Maldives to go on a snorkeling excursion boat. You go to Egypt for that. What makes Maldives so much more special -besided many other things- is that with a matter of few steps you are among the hundreds of kinds of colorful fish.

there is absolutey no comparison, Filitheyo wins hands down. And it is a very good choice even if you had more options. The island is naturally very beautiful, and amog the most preserved less developed resort islands in the Maldives.

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medhufushi or Filitheyo?

You can still book through some UK agents from the US, I and many others on here would recommend Purely Maldives, who can arrange accommodation only or with flights if you want, and they offer dozens of islands. Worth having a look at their website

6. Re: Medhufushi or Filitheyo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Meemu Atoll