We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meedhupparu Fishing

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Meedhupparu Fishing

Hi Everyone

Has anyone taken their own fishing gear before. Our hubbies, Andy and Keith want to take their small portable fishing rods with them. We`know there are fishing trips, but you know what English fisherman are like! Me and Sue will just have to read a book on the beach!!!! Bliss

Getting so excited now and still 6 weeks and 3 days to go

Look forward to your replies.

Shirley

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

Hullo Shirley

I'm off the Meedhu in March and am taking my own gear with me for the boat trips, but as I understand it, all shore fishing in the Maldives is forbidden and a finable offence ... I'm trying to get clarification of this from the tourist office and find out if there are any loopholes but I'd be careful.

When are you there?

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

your right the fishing is only from boats that are run by the islands.No fishing off the beachs at all.

cfc

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

Thanks

That really helps, if you here anymore please let me know.

We go Monday 16th April 4pm flight from Gatwick on 'MyTravel'.

Shirley

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

Hi Shirley, you maybe able to charter a boat for some fishing.I go to Sun island and they throw in a free evening trip which is fun but its on hand lines.They also do charter trips which i think most islands do.these are popular so find folks who would like to join you early in your holiday to reduce the cost and avoid not being able to get booked.Have a great time pulling in all those sailfins !

cfc

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,268 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

that's right cfc ! after all , sailfish are already endangered , so getting rid of a few more sounds like great fun ! yeehaww cowboy!

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

Ok so i picked the wrong ones ,wasnt meant to offend !!!!!!!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

Er ... how are sailfish endangered? Cosmopolitan species with wide-ranging ecology from inshore to oceanic waters, not much rated as a food fish. I am curious.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,268 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

unfortunately, Sailfish have been on the endangered species list for years, along with Chilean Sea Bass, Swordfish, Bluefin Tuna and Black, Blue & White Marlins . seems to me that every responsible sportsfisherman would inform himself before following his hemmingway inspirations .. but as always .. that is just my humble little opinion

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

My dear Mr Spam

Here's the clue: the thread is titled "Meedhupparu fishing". Shirley, whose thread you seem to have hijacked, and I are trying to elicit information to help us, or our partners, do what we like to do in our spare time.

Had she, or I, titled our thread "Send us your unscientific opinions on why fishing is bad for the planet", your opinions might be welcome. But that's not the title, so you are being neither humble nor helpful. And if you wish to continue this discussion, out of politeness to Shirley I'd rather you did it on my thread which, just to help you, is titled "Fishing in Meedhupparu."

By the way, sailfish do not appear on the CITES, IUCN or WWF endangered lists for the Maldives, although they may well do in other parts of the world; responsible fishermen practice catch-and-release with all billfish, whether endangered or not; and the writer to whom you refer is Hemingway.

And what got you on this high horse in the first place? Have you never trodden on an ant? Eaten wildlife, endangered or otherwise? Eaten vegetarian products grown on land cleared of rainforest? Sat on a leather chair? Polluted the planet in a car or aircraft? Of course not! Silly me!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,268 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meedhupparu Fishing

i didn't realize that one had to be invited to participate in a thread .. when this forum went private, i wasn't notified .. forgive my informed opinion for clashing with your ego.

and please do recheck your sources .. google is a great tool when used properly .

Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll