We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

Which Raa Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

Now here's where gender differences can cause problems. I personally feel spending money could be kept minimal, £850-1000 worth of dollars, and my partner practically wants to take out a mortgage. Usually the other way round with me being the female not wanting to take loadsa cash!

We read on here a young couple that took 850, and came home with 650. They were All Inclusive and only hired jetskis and had a few cocktails for the 2 weeks they were there.

We'd like to do the Open Water dive course whilst there, so understand that will be approx $700, and may do a bit of watersports, but what about the rest? Not exactly sure what it'd be that we'd buy, maybe a few drinks not included in the AI (cocktails etc) and some maldivian jewellery blah.

I always like to have cash than on card when on holiday, because i like to know how much i have (awkward!)

What do you think??

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

We don't dive and went AI; any snorkelling trips and visits to teh spa were added to one bill we paid for at teh end of the holidayby VISA. We therefore only needed cash for tips, and a small amount for spending at the airport (on way back, at Male paid for (by card) lounge which included free internet, well worth it at £17 each) - we'll take $300 max.

Herts
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

Why take hardly any cask at all?? Your resort will just add everyhting to your room bill to be paid at the end of the holiday. I have never been to a resort in the Maldives where you hand over cash for anything. You just need cash for tipping when you leave/ go on boat trips/ go shopping at inhabited islands. The rest, keep a tally going of what you 'spend' each day then the final credit card bill on the day you check out won't be such a shock. I wouldn't even bother taking travellers cheques as its just a hassle changing them at reception if the cashier isnt availbale! Good luck and happy spending!! Reagrds, Pufferfish

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

Just to back up the previous posters we took around £300, at the time about $550 and we bought a lot back with us you only need cash for tipping we diod take traverls cheques on our first trip to Meedhupparu but like has been said it is a hassle to go to reception to change them.

Just to add we dodn't skimp on our holiday either had meals on the beach did lovers paradise on own island for the day etc etc and we still bought money back.

I think this time we will take around $3/400 and use our cards for any extra if we need to but I dont think we will.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

thanks guys, makes a bit more sense to take less cash and use cards.

lovers paradise?! wow! i'd heard about that but thought it was hearsay, do you get a list of excursions when you get there or do you have to book before you go?

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

Hi

For the excursions, there will be a board near reception usually, with all the trips on and you just put your name and room number down for which ever ones you want to go on

regards susie

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

hi Chloe....we did Lovers Paradise on New Years Eve just gone from Meedhupparu and it was brilliant. $180 for two, they take you out to deserted island at 10.30am (approx hour away) by dhoni by yourselves, drop you both on an island with two sunloungers, umbrella cool box full of drinks and a picnic. Then wait off the reef (just in case you happen to want to go back, but just enough out of sight!) until approx 4.15pm then come and collect you and take you home again. We sat at the front of the boat and they point out the manta's etc as they are much keener eyed than we are. Fab day, sign up for it the day you get there. They only take two out per day and it gets booked early. Lists are up in reception. We had booked some pink champagne for NYE that night it was just the most romantic day ive had.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

wow, that sounds absolutely amazing! thank you for the tips. that is so very me!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

My profile photo was taken on that island when we were there in April 2005 there are a couple more images from the island on here

lenphotografix.co.uk/landscapes/index.html

We did the same day on our honeymoon and it was deffinately the best day of the two weeks, feels really special everything is just for you, you have a picnic and drinks etc it is special day to top off what will be a very special holiday, enjoy yourselves wont you.

9. Re: Probably an irritating question...Spending Money!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll
Recent Conversations