We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meedhupparu Island

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Meedhupparu Island

Hi My partner and I are visting the island in August for 2 weeks and I have just found out that you are unable to fish from the beach - my parner is going to be so disappointed - in fact I have not plucked up the courage to tell hm yet!! So before I break the bad news to him does anyone know if you can hire little boats to go our just beyond the reef to fish?

Dive Club Furaveri
Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing
Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meedhupparu Island

No

all fishing in the Maldives is to be organised by resort, unless a local.Its illegal.

Rumps

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Thanks for replying so quick, I know they do organised trips day and night - are they expensive?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Morning and night fishing run each day and they are $25 per person, and the fishing is by line only no rods just a line on a plastic reel and a hook.

On the other hand the fish are generally large to bigger in size.

Hope this helps, Lee.

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Hi Lee - Do you think they would let you take your own rod on these trips? and the other thing is as much as he likes fishing he likes to throw them back!! would they object? Thanks Jan

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Bad news rods arn't allowed at all no questions and the ones you keep go back as food for the restaurant or for the locals fish is there main food, soory but thats the way it is.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Bloody ell Norris

Thats expensive, what islands have you been going to,

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Hi Meedhupparu island and yes it is $25 per person per trip and there is the 10% ser charge on that too, I dont make the prices up thats what it costs.

I have just posted a review too.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meedhupparu Island

Wasnt being funny , just that i was shocked at the price.

Rumps

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meedhupparu Island

I Norris.

Thought about it--Bit sharp in reply.

Rumps

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meedhupparu Island

hey no worries, i didnt take it the wrong way at all. I think the fishing on the island is not fishing as true fishermen in this country would like it to be thats all.

There laws on fishing are different to ours in lots of ways and on the island its all a money maker.

Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll
Recent Conversations