We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling

Manchester
Level Contributor
552 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling

Ok, I've tried to research this by reading past posts but dont seem to have the info I'm looking for. Neither myself or my partner have ever snorkelled before and I was thinking of doing a 'discover snorkelling' hour in a pool here in England before we go in to Meed in July. However, I cant work out whether you're allowed to just 'jump into' the sea and go snorkelling off the jetty or you have to go on an organised trip or what. Please can anyone help? (Sorry about the long post!)

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling

Hi Shambolin.

Just jump into or walk into the sea anywhere, the trips on the islands are to take you out to a reef because they / the island concerned has none or the snorkeling is that poor near by.

Hope this clears things up.

Rumps

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling

Hi Shambolin

As Rumps says, just put on your gear, put your head under and be prepared to be amazed. It is like swimming in your own private tropical fish tank!

Enjoy!

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling

You can often hire the snorkel, masks and fins out there but I think it works out expensive. also if you buy here you can make sure it fits properly and especially with the snorkel, it hasn't been in someone elses mouth!!!

Softail

kent
Level Contributor
848 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling

Hi

We have just returned from Meedhupparu. We Snorkelled from the Beach in the shallow water and off the Jetty...amazing sights to be seen. Rays, Moray Eels, Turtles, Puffa Fish, Parrot Fish, Angel Fish and many more.

We did do a snorkelling excursion which was great but we didnt see anything different than what we saw from the Beach and Jetty.

I shall be leaving my review and photos soon.

Jackie x

Manchester
Level Contributor
552 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkelling

Thanks everybody, thats cleared things up for me! I'm sooooo looking forward to it!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkelling

Hi Shambolin.

You will absolutely love the snorkelling in the Maldives, it is like being in another world, with so many beautiful fish.

I think it a good idea for you to have a few lessons in snorkelling before you go.

With regards to the mask, i highly advise that you do not buy a cheap one, but invest in a really good fitting one from a proper dive shop.

Believe me there is nothing worse than your mask leaking, it can really spoil your snorkelling and can also be quite off putting.

Glenys

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkelling

Another tip which I received and found really helpful. When you get to the island you can buy a fish ID card which gives you name of the various fish you might encounter. They are water proof so you can even take them in the water!

Softail

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkelling

Hi,

If you buy your own mask invest in a little bottle of fluid to stop your mask fogging up whilst you're wearing it, you just put a couple of drops on the inside of the glass and wipe it over the surface before you pop your mask on, its better than saliva, lasts longer.

Enjoy.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkelling

E by Gum

Nowt wrong with a bit of spit, lol lol

Rumps

10. Re: snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2008, 13:11
Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll