We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

Which Belle Mare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

Hi,

I hope someone can help :o)

We have recently found out that the final leg of our Honeymoon in May has been cancelled due to flight problems plus a fire at the resort. We were supposed to be staying in Mozambique for five nights but have now been offered two hotels in Mauritius - either the One & Only or Shandrani. We only have until Monday to decide so can anyone advise on either of these hotels?! Are there any pros/cons to both that we should be aware of?

Thanks!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

I presume its the One & Only Siant Geran.

My personal preference would be the Saint Geran, an old, grand, luxury hotel. Its on the east coast by the wonderful Belle Mare beach.

Both are fine hotels though.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

Thanks for your reply

Yes, that's the one. We're leaning towards this hotel at the moment but were concerned that snacks/lunch/drinks are reported to be quite expensive. Given that we're only there for 5 days though I'm sure it won't be too bad! :o)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,526 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

I suggest Shandrani - fabulous 5* AI resort with branded drinks and champagne inclusive. Note the AI starts the moment you arrive and finishes the moment you leave. 3 wonderful beaches, lovely staff and accomodation.

We stayed here this November and hope to return next March.Really laid back resort which makes you totally relaxed from the moment you arrive and not stuffy like some Mauritian resorts can be. Apart from to Belle Mare Plage its now a favourite of mine.

St Geran is overdue a refurb and wouldnt be my choice depsite its long standing reputation and longetvity. It seriously needs a refurb.(Shandrani has had a refurb recently which is ongoing)

Note drinks are expensive in 5* hotels here - Trou aux Biches charges £9 for a rum cocktail and Intercontinental's (we stayed here for DH's birthday recently) cheapest wine was £35 - so for St Geran up that price.

Shandrani is also set in a National Marine Park so is great for water sports.

Bronia :)

Edited: 21 December 2012, 20:17
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

Thanks Bronia! The fact that we wouldn't have to worry about all the additional costs is definitely appealing, but I've read that it isn't as good for honeymooners and is more popular with families - did you notice this when you were out there?! I don't mind children but we're hoping to completely relax for the five days we're there as we're fitting so much into the rest of our honeymoon...! :o)

Sarah

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,482 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

I'd also opt for Shandrani, best AI hotel in Mauritius. St.Geran is overdue for a refurb as Bronia says.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,526 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

The majority of Mauritian hotels are very much family orientated - very few are child free except for three that I know offhand... 20 Degrees Sud near Grand Baie which only accepts kids over 12, Paradise Cove, a boutique hotel at Anse Le Raie, and the Nirvana wing of Le Meridien in the north west.

Sands in the west has no kids club so attracts more couples so maybe worth a look?

St Geran is not child free either.

What we found was the kids were attracted to the pools at Shandrani but we didnt see many if any on the three beaches and we never found kids to be a problem at all. :)

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

Thanks so much - we really don't mind children at the resort; I'm just wary of hotels catering specifically for families. With three beaches to choose from I'm sure we'll be fine!

Did you have a chance to use the spa when you were out there? And did they offer a good range of treatments?

8. Re: Mauritius for Honeymoon - One & Only or Shandrani?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Belle Mare
Recent Conversations