We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A thousand colours (trip)

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A thousand colours (trip)

Hi, we have a holiday booked at the Ambre, Belle Mare in September this year. We have received an email from the travel agent suggesting the above trip, a tour around the island , lakes, mountains and other areas. Has anyone done this trip? Look forward to hearing your views on this before we book.

Thank you

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Ambre Mauritius
Ambre Mauritius
4,255 Reviews
Mauritius
Vicky Mauritius Tour
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Aquaventure
Scuba & Snorkeling
Belle Mare Tours
Speed Boats Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,304 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

We usually advise people not to book trips with travel agents - they are usually the most expensive way to see the island.

Wait until you arrive - your Rep will still be selling trips at your welcome meeting anyway if you really want to go with them.

Which agent are you using?

TBH never heard of a thousand colours trip.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

I think it is this bronia

…thomson.co.uk/excursions-details/004444/Mau…

it must be the name they have given this tour, as I have not come across it in all my research of the island and i have done a lot !

Seems really expensive to me and what are you really going to see stuck on a coach all day?

but each to their own.

Deb

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

Not my idea of a good trip out either Deb, but then I am not keen being stuck on a coach for a whole day with a bunch of others, much easier to do your own thing in Mauritius at your own pace.

I think it's a bit of Thomson marketing, they are new to Mauritius as we all know and will be wanting to do their own trips and tours - experience shows in other holiday destinations that you can do the same thing better and cheaper with local companies.

Mentioned in this post
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

Thats what I thought Maz, come to a beautiful sunny island and be stuck on a coach with a bunch of strangers.

Not for me.

Lisa buy yourself a good guidebook, sit and read through it and see what you fancy doing then arrange it yourself when you get here, will be cheaper and you are not tied to other peoples timetables.

It is not hard plenty of local companies arranging day trips in Mauritius and will be cheaper.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

I'm wondering if Thomsons are going to introduce large coaches onto the island now that they have packaged Mauritius. So far most organised tours I've seen have been via a mini bus with the local companies.

Also worth considering, isn't it better to put money back into the local economy rather than a big multi-national group?

Mentioned in this post
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

That is why I said local maz, support the people of the place you are visiting not a faceless organization .

But you will always get people who don't or can't be bothered to do any research for themselves and will follow blindly.

Think I am visiting at the right time this September I can see writing on the wall for the island :(

Deb

Marple, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

Hi.

Dont you experts shout at me , We did a tour like this we booked at our hotel. Cant remember the cost but when you are new to the island it nice,there was only 8 of us from the Shandrani only so only a little mini bus.

We went to the Black River Gorge which was very g0od and the Chamarel falls as well, we saw the crater as well and also the 18th century ships workshop and we had luch at the Rum distillery and bought some as well as believe it or not was a good price .And also the colour earth sands, we met nice couples on the trip and saw them again after the trip .

Hope this helps

Clare

Mentioned in this post
Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Shandrani Beachcomber...
2,654 Reviews
Mauritius
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

As I said Clare different strokes for different folks, for me it is my idea of hell but I always travel independently book my own flights and hotel and would never do a package anything.

I like the excitement of researching and organizing my own things and the freedom to do what I want when I want.

But I am quite unsociable to be fair, and it is guaranteed I get the really annoying person sat next to me getting on my nerves lol

Deb

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,304 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

Thanks Seska.

I came across this the other day and thought it worth quoting here.

Apavou's 4 hotels are finally sold and RIU have taken over the three in the south.

What caught my eye was the reference to TUI and Thomsons:

Looks like they will indeed be a big presence on the island.

Like you two I'm not sure this is a good thing for our little island either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three hotels Apavou group, Indian Resort and Mornea Moreva were actually redeemed by RIU Hotels & Resorts. The fourth hotel La Plantation Balaclava, was taken over by the Attitude group.

The sale of three hotels was finalized Monday. A transaction that would weigh around Rs 1.4 billion. RIU Hotels & Resorts plans to invest about Rs present 3000000000 to restore facilities to date.

This resort Morne becomes the first RIU group on the island. Subsidiary of global tourism giant TUI, the Spanish hotel chain wants to strengthen its presence in the Indian Ocean. In particular, it plans to open a hotel in Sri Lanka by 2016 and a property in St. Martin. Dans17 this country with 105 establishments, RIU focuses mainly on the niche holiday hotels. Moreover, 70% of its hotels offer all-inclusive offers.

Through its subsidiary RIU, the TUI group becomes fully independent in its operations on the Mauritian soil. Since it is the only one to have its plane - Thomson Airways - its incoming agency - Summertimes - and now its hotels.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it sounds like TUI and Thomsons have big ideas.

Lisa - looking at the trip I don't think its worth it either - book locally.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 10:20
Mentioned in this post
Balaclava
Balaclava
Mauritius
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A thousand colours (trip)

Clare, it sounds like you did the same trip we did through Mautourco. We thoroughly enjoyed it despite the cost as my hubby could relax and enjoy the trip without having to worry about following directions (mine, and possibly getting lost). If time is limited and you aren't familiar with the area then these trips can be the way to go.

Get answers to your questions about Belle Mare
Recent Conversations