We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

London, England
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

Thinking of going to Mauritius in Nov 2007. Can anyone please tell me which is the best part of the Island to stay (East or West) don't like a lot of WIND and also a good beach with soft sand!!

Flic en Flac
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

West is the best. Beautiful beach and nice luxurious appartment with sea view and sunset view. At Flic en Flac best place.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

Hi, we researched a lot and apparently "west is the best". The east is windy. We're getting married at Sugar Beach Resort early october 07, the beach there is meant to be one of the best in mauritius. Ninolia could you recommend great places for lunch nearby? Also any places to get alcohol, as I hear the hotels are expensive. Thankyou.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

Hi Josser,

We too are going in Nov . Went to Grand Baie area 3 years ago and let me tell you we were glad of cooling breezes. We are trying east this time as I hear got best beaches. Must say we were more than happy with where we were. did A.I. at Marina resort and cant fault any of it. We hired a taxi driver for trips out and what a mine of info., plus he took us to some amazing places. The local boat day trips are good and take you to secluded little bays. I am NOT an expert but I assure you this is lovely island with friendly, smiley people and stunning scenery. Hope you make a good choice. Maybe we see you there

scotland
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

To jimbob,

We shopped for wine, beer etc at the big supermarket at Grand baie. I think there will be other places. If you hire a taxi, driver will tell you. We bought duty frree and if I remember there is good duty free shop at airport when you land. Maybe local people tell you best eating out and stuff. Have best time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

To heblady2,

Thankyou so much for your reply,I also wish you a great holiday!

Warm regards, jimbob

Flic en Flac
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

Flic en Flac is the best place in the west. You can have nice appartments luxurious too with swimming pool costing lesser.

Ludenscheid, Germany
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

Hello Josser

in november you can stay, depend on the weather

in every part of the island.

nice beaches:

Mont Choisy - Trou aux Biches, my favorite

Pereybere . good for children, there are many family and very fine sand

Flic en Flac

Le Morne

Belle Mare Plage

kind regards anne

http://english.mauritius-tipps.de

Reading, Berkshire...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

You simply cannot beat Flic-en-Flac for its beaches. We first went to Mauritius in 1991 (wife, 9-month old daughter & me) and have returned there every couple of years, staying in Villas Caroline, local bungalows & other hotels. We are now still Wife & me but with an addition to the first visit, the daughter is now 16 years of age, she has a sister of 9 years of age.

We all love Mauritius to such an extent that we cannot keep off it long enough to go anywhere else. We keep to the Budget end for finances, including hiring of bungalows with security such as Bay View but now we have family who have purchased land & built THEIR bungalows in Flic-en-Flac.

We are intending on doing this but the cost land is too high for us, so we are considering Albion (about 15 minutes drive away, half-way between Flic-en-Flac and the Capital, Port Louis), also a fantastic area! Not as popular as Flic-en-Flac yet, but reminiscent of it 16 years ago, but of course ALL of Mauritius is great. It has 100 miles of Sandy beaches all around the island, some nicer than others, for instance, the North is TOURIST location for those who want the luxuries of Europe and the night life etc but its also available in other areas East AND West. Further down south-east near the Airport (Sir Seewoseegur Rangoolam or SSR Plaisance Airport) there is an area that is getting quite popular, Blue Bay.

You can actually see Blue Bay as you approach Mauritius and are about to land. As the plane veers to the right to access the area to land, look to the LEFT and you will see the wonderful VERY BLUE bay.

The top-end Hotels, the 4 / 5 star ones are fantastic but you are locked up away from reality where every need is catered for, you lose something of the real Mauritius by not going "local" and finding independent operators, hiring of local bungalows or taking in a Bed & Breakfast houses!

In Flic-en-Flac the best Supermarket is right in the centre and its SPAR! It has everything in it, and all very well priced, from less than £2 for a bottle of local Rum to Fresh & Frozen food from all over the world! Lots of FRESH produce as well as freshly baked baguettes and loaves bread, rolls etc. ALL the tinned & packet foods and snacks you can imagine in your own supermarket up the road.

Other supermarkets abound where you can buy computers, furniture, & everything you need under one roof, all at much-reduced prices compared to the UK. You may have to pay about £20 in total to be taken and returned by taxi to one of the big JUMBO supermarkets (and they ARE massive, can take you 2 to 4 hours just to get through it all). We did our weekly shop there and then went to the local supermarkets or TABAGEEs to get our daily needs and fresh produce.

You can also buy ready made fresh local cuisine in the supermarkets and heat it up back at the bungalow so if you dont feel like cooking, dont!

I love Flic-en-Flac for its beach, for its clear & safe sea (the island is surrounded by coral reef which keeps out the nasties and rough seas, sharks and others, for its flora & fauna, for its people & for their respect to others, including tourists! Mark Twain was quoted as saying .... God Created Mauritius, then copied it, and called it Eden...." Enough said I think...

but...Oh by the way, if you have the time, why not visit other islands nearby? A short couple of hours to Ile de France REUNION or Rodrigue is also fascinating, the smaller islands such as Ile aux cerf (Deer Island) is so relaxing & you dont have to be rich to do this! We have a family of 4 day out for twenty quid (£30 if you include food and drink).

The buses are a bit rickity but it gets you there in one piece, almost.... but new operators are coming on th scene, with Air Conditioned spacious coaches, for a couple of rupees more. When you consider the exchange rate of 62 to 65 ruppees to a pound and a bottle of rum is about 120 to 190 rupees, the food for one person about 200 to 400 rupees PER DAY, you cant go wrong (unless you seek Luxury, you can pay 450 rupees for a dinner in one of the hotels, but can pay more, if in top-class hotels with entertainment thrown in!

Mauritius, I loved it so much, no I didnt buy it but bought into it! So much so, I married into it, yes my wife is Mauritian & our children have a foot in both worlds... Mauritius ("EAST....) & Europe (meets WEST").

Now, then if I cash in the savings policies & sell off stuff we dont need, I could get that house built next year.............

Mmmmmmm... watch out Flic-en-Flac you may have a neighbour in Albion sooner than later!

And by the way, your original question about soft sand... Mauritius has millions upon millions of tons of it, "have I got NEWS for you, its on all its beaches North, East West and South (N.E.W.S. ?? it certainly is!)

Enjoy your stay but remember to pack all your SUN creams & mosquito repellents but most of all, RELAX & have a good time, eat drink and make merry!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

Hi

If you want to shop you can take a bus, taxi or a walk down to a supermarket called Spar, there you also have other shops with shirts and other stuff.

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is the best area to stay in Mauritius?

Have stayed east coast - Belle Mare Plage and north west - Grand Baie plus west coast - Flic en Flac.- Sugar Beach

In our opinion Flic en Flac - Sugar Beach/La Pirogue area

East coast was windy and wet, drove to west and was sunny/hot on the same east coast wet days.

Sea was noticeably calmer on west coast away from prevailing wind and swell from the south east.

West coast better longer softer beaches than Grand Baie.

Going back to Sugar Beach again this Oct/Nov.