We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B at Oberoi

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
B&B at Oberoi

We can get a really good deal at the Oberoi in May but I only want B&B as we like to get out and about to eat & try different restaurants in the evening

It looks a long way from the main towns - how much might a cab cost me?- is there a hotel as good nearer to town?

Any help very much appreciated & thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B at Oberoi

The Oberoi is aboutish mid point to Grand Baie and Port Louis. Slightly nearer to Grand Baie but you could be looking at cab fares about £10-15 just one way. For that reason I would look to go HB.

Trou aux Biches hotel is nearer to Grand Baie and you will still need a cab but at least its also on the bus route which is a highly regarded hotel since it was rebuilt.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,051 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B at Oberoi

Oberoi is a 25 minute drive from Grand Baie and maybe 20 minutes from Port Louis the capital.

Your really would be better off booking HB here as it would cost you a lot in taxis to eat out at night.

HB is a la carte not buffet and no tray charge for room service.

Its a lovely resort - I visited here last year and it really is top rate.

If you like to eat out at night though you really need to be based somewhere closer to Grand Baie or Flic en Flac.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B at Oberoi

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Did not realise cabs would be so expensive!

I was also looking at Le Cardinal which seems a bit closer to Grand Baie so maybe that is the answer

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B at Oberoi

Le Cardinal is at Trou aux biches. A small boutique hotel and is on or near a bus stop where you can catch a bus to Grand Baie and Port Louis.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,051 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B at Oberoi

Le Cardinal is opposite the Casuarina and next door to Trou aux Biches resort.

Note you will still have to get a cab if you want to eat out in the evenings as the buses stop running early here.

Taxis are expensive here unfortunately.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 09:39
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B at Oberoi

Also look at 20degreesSud which is also closer to Grand Baie so reducing taxi costs.

http://www.20degressud.com/en/homepage/

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B at Oberoi

There is also the new boutique hotel near 20 degree sud of The Baystone which is getting positive reviews.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g644023-d3590…

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B at Oberoi

Thank you - all of your comments are most helpful & I shall look at all of these hotels

I think even if I pay for half board and don't use every night this will be the answer - bit irritating but appears there is little option if you want a decent hotel

Still, I shall go and enjoy and say blow the money (can't take it with me) so might as well spend it now

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B at Oberoi

We stay half board in hotels it's good value, however we do have the odd dinner out with friends too. You might find dinner in the hotel you choose to be just what you want and not feel the need to look elsewhere.

10. Re: B&B at Oberoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Pointe Aux Piments