We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Essaouira in early December

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Essaouira in early December

Plan to be in E for 2/3 days as part of tour of country. Having chosen end Nov/early Dec as good time to avoid excess heat, I have now learned contradictory info. So, what's the reality of weather and temps in E at this time, roughly? Also got a comment that is is low season so the place is rather derelict/forlorn with several places including restaurants closed. Is this true? What activities will be operating when I plan to visit?

Do the insects bite during that period?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Essaouira in early December

Hi,

I don't know nothing about openings of restaiurants, but what I can tell you, that you will find cold at night. Go to eat at restaurant Elizir... Super!!!

Check here:

http://www.ilove-essaouira.com/

Ciao

London England
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Essaouira in early December

We have an apartment in Essaouira, so spend a lot of time there

Last December the weather on the whole was very nice being lovely and sunny most of the time, just a bit cold first thing in the morning, and then again by 4pm. it got chilly and we needed our jumpers and scarves again, most days it was nice enough to go to the beach around 11.30 till 2.30,and it only rained on a couple of days

Many people think Morocco North Africa it must be hot ! !, but it can also be very cold, so take clothes for all weathers.

Essaouira is lovely place to visit at any time, and in no way is it derelict or forlorn, most of the restaurants are open throughout the year

and insects have never been a problem for us, we will be in Essaouira again this December so perhaps we will bump in to you , have a great time

Elwyn

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Essaouira in early December

Thanks, Elwyn. Just the kind of info I was looking for. BTW, while I recognise you own your own place so may not know too much about hotels, you will have a view: It will be a first time visit to E, of just a few days, and I had never planned to sit on the beach but to visit the place, see the Medina, get a feel of the atmosphere, history, etc. Would I be better trying to find a riad/hotel within the Medina/built up area, or are the better places along the beach away from the centre (as clearly, for much of the year, the majority of visitors and thus facilities to meet this demand) will be centred on the beach access?

SWT

falls church, va
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Essaouira in early December

Hi SussexWorldTraveller,

We are also planning a visit here later in November and have found that some hotels are closed, so be flexible and have several options in mind. For example, Ocean Vagabond is closed from 24 Nov to 15 Dec. Also, I've noticed that some hotels consider that time high season and some low season. Talk about contradictory! Good luck on your trip planning.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Essaouira in early December

The high season-low season contradiction is rather arbitrary and probably has more to do with the foreigners who operate guesthouses in Essaouira and when they take their holidays. As the major muslim festival of Eid Kbir is towards the beginning of the month of December this year, many people opt for leaving the country on short breaks as much of normal activity grinds to a halt for the day of the festival and several days afterwards. The Christmas holidays, from roughly the 20 december to the 5 of January, see loads of tourists all over the major cities in the country and so for this reason a lot of hotels set their high season rates accordingly.

Far from being forlorn, you should feel glad to be visiting Essaouira during a time when hopefully you'll not encounter the mass numbers of tourists who have detracted from this charming village (in my opinion).

As has been mentioned before, you'll have to pack warmly as the atlantic down there is very cold...but you should see a few days of that african sun the country is famous for. And if you are lucky enough, you'll see the village in the evening when it is enveloped in a thick fog-magical!

6. Re: Visiting Essaouira in early December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 13:19
Get answers to your questions about Essaouira