We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agadir or Essaouira?

Hayley Denenberg
4 posts
Save Topic
Agadir or Essaouira?

Hello,

We are going on our honeymoon in August 2009. Our first stop is either going to be Ess or Adagir, we can't decide! It seems that Ess has more character but it seems that the weather is a bit cold (70 degrees) for beach weather. Agadir seems like it has great resorts but I feel like we wouldn't feel like we were in Morocco. We are planning on staying for 4 nights and then going to Marrakesh for 4 nights. What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Hayley

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

Agadir is, as ever, a good introduction to Morocco.

It has a great beach and is a good place to relax.

There are many good restaurants and no end of choice in cuisine.

People usually do day trips from Agadir and Marrakech is probably top of the destination list with Essaouira second although Tiznit, Tafraout, Atlas mountains are popular too.

You will be fine in Agadir as it is much like any resort on the Med but without troublesome tourists.

You should do a day trip to Essaouira which is easy to get to, no need to go on an organised trip just get on the bus and you are there in 2.5 hours (no quicker by taxi so save your money).

I would advise you to stay in Ess for two nights as it is quite small and easy to get around on foot, any longer and it gets a bit dull as you see it all in a short space of time. Most of the interest is within the medina with shops, markets, restaurants and sights of interest.

Essaouira does get windy but is still warm in the sun, Agadir has less wind and warm/sunny year round.

Hayley Denenberg
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

Do you think 2 days in Agadir and 2 days in Ess and then to Marrakesh is too much traveling? Especially because we will be so jet lagged when we land because we are coming from California. Sounds like 4 days in either spot is too much...

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

It is a long way from California so you need time to unwind although I find it so exciting when arriving at a new place (even long haul to HK form UK) that I just get straight into exploration.

As there are no flights to Mogador (aka Essaouira), the closest airport can be either Agadir or Marrakech, about the same distance from either to Ess.

I think your itinerary sounds ok but a trip into the Anti Atlas mountains from Agadir would be good. This may encompass a tour of Tafraout and/or Tiznit with lunch possibly in the mountains and may be referred to as the Tiznit Day Trip, Real Morocco or similar. Cost may be in the region of US$60/£30/€45, 7am to 7pm.

Two days in Essaouira is about right and then onto Marrakech; I would go by bus as the are four buses to Marra from Ess each day. You will see some wild goings on in the evening in Jemaa el Fna and an overnight stay is really essential, there are also a few local sights to take in.

Back to Agadir from Marrakech is easy as there are (or were) five buses each day.

Finish off your holiday with a nice meal in either La Scala or Le Jazz restaurants.

london, UK
Level Contributor
208 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

Essaouira no contest! See my recent posts if helpful...

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

Hi Hayley!

I would definitly say:go to essaouira!!

It'sa romantic little city and you'll find much more poesie and things to see than in Agadir!

If you want to feel the reel vibes of morococ,it should be the choice!

If you're lucky,you can find a good weather and even if windy,it's a really cool place!

You can even surf in sidi kouki which is really short way from essaouira and the place is definitly peacefull.

You can even think about a short trip in Marrakesh and again,i would say that Agadir is not such interesting..A big road on the sea,that's it..!

Cheers!oliver.

PS:happy new year!

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

Hey Oliver,

I think thats a little harsh on Agadir! There is a little more to it than that - souk, fishing port, new marina complex, fantastic long, wide beach and local suburbs.

Personally I would still go for Essaouira though as it has a wonderful quaint arty feel to the place.

There are some great places to stay in the medina and lovely restaurants - a good combination with Marrakech as its the complete opposite and a welcome respite from the sensory overload of Marrakech.

London
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

I would definitely chose Essaouira, Agadir is really not a very nice place to spend any ammount of time in, let alone your honeymoon! Essaouira has a very pleasant climate all the year round and in August it is fine to be on the beach, but not too hot like Agadir and Marrakech due to the sea breeze. I would definitely reccomend Ess for 4 nights as part of the fun is just passing time in the town and spending time just absorbing the laid back feel of the place.

hope this helps

Emma

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

I tend to asgree with the overall vibe, Essaouira no contest! Its cute and laid back and pretty and Moroccan and it will be a real experience for you. A memory to treasure.And Essaouira isnt colder than Agadir. It should be absolutely lovely in September which is one of the nicest months to go! Agadir is bigger,less charcater, more 'efficient', perhaps and in my opinion it is just a beach resort like countless others. It does have more hotels with pools but how many pools do you need? I'd stay in Essaouira medina in one of the gorgeous riads or riad hotels for maximum romantic impact. Unless you are very sporty, there isnt all that much to do in Essaouira, so 3 or 4 days is perfect. Still, I guess if it were me, I'd spend two days in Marrakech,maybe a night or two in the Atlas mountains, perhaps three days in Essaouira and if I was feeling really flush, maybe a night in the Gazelle d'Or in Taroundant. Then again, if you want to get away from it all,the Villa Zagora in Zagora on the edge of the Sahara is a treat. Ride a camel into the desert at sunset! What a dream! If you do go there, take plenty of cheap biros for the local kids!

bristol
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

Hi Hayley,

I personaly would go to Agadir for a honeymoon. It's very romantic and there are more things to do. The beach is just breath taking. Essaouira ha a lot of charm but I wouldn't got 4 days...too long.

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agadir or Essaouira?

There are some good videos of Essaouira, Agadir and Morocco in general on YouTube. It might be useful to have a look at some of those to give you a feel for these places before you make your decision.