We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to essaouira from Marrakech

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
One day to essaouira from Marrakech

Hello,

Im thinking of going to Essaouira for a one day trip (no overnight) from Marrakech. Read a lot about buying the tickets in advance in person. I can do that for the trip to Essaouira but how about the return, I can't buy the return tickets until we are there. Do they also run out of the return seats fast too?

Looking at the bus schedule , we can only spend probably 5 hours in Essaouira, does it worth making a trip there for only 1 day?

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

It's the safest bet to buy the return ticket immediately on arrival in Ess.

The arrival point in Ess is just a small area outside of the ticket office so you won't have a problem finding the place.

Five hours for a first visit may not sound much but Esaouira is a relatively small place as most of the time will be spent within the medina which is the main attraction with its ancient streets and ramparts.

A map is available if you need one, just click my name and give me your e-mail.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

And a seafood lunch of course! Essaouira is easily walkable - visit the fishing port and Portuguese fort as well as the medina itself. Well worth your five hours.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

Hi,

If you go for the Supratours comfort bus you buy your return ticket at the same time. It costs 200 Dirhams and leaves at 09.00 returning at 17.00.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

great shopping in the medina , too. very laid back. have fun.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

the Supratours comfort bus sounds more like the way to go, at least I am sure i have a seat back :) thought it is only limited to only less than 5 hours there.

so i assume back at the Marrakesh bus depot, there will be grand taxi available? After reading some posts, i am still a little confused on how the grand taxi works. So it is a share taxi, as far as i know. But how would the driver charge us? base on where we are going? so all the passengers may go to different places and different direction of town, so basically I may go around the town with the taxi for him to drop off ppl before my destination? I have only 2 ppl and my hotel is a little off the center of Merrakesh. would a petit taxi work better in our case?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

Hi,

You can negociate a grand taxi just for your use so don't "have" to share but a petit taxi would be better as there are only 2 of you. Make him put his meter on! If you walk away from the station for about 5 minutes and flag down a taxi it's usually less hassle (the guys at the station are a bit shark-like ;-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

The bus depot in Marrakech is just opposite the medina but you haven't said at which hotel you are staying, so will a taxi really be necessary?

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

HI,

The Supratours depot is out by the train station in Gueliz.

9. Re: One day to essaouira from Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:41
Get answers to your questions about Essaouira