We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment in Essaouira

Which Essaouira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Apartment in Essaouira

I'm interested in moving to Essaouira and renting an apartment. Does anyone have a realistic estimate of what a one (or two) bedroom apartment - and preferably not in a modern, haut standing but in an older building - might cost a non-Moroccan? Thank you.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

Probably better off checking estate agents websites for that info - can google for 'agence immobilière Essaouira'

Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

Thanks for replying. I was recently in wonderful Marrakesh again.

3. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 14:26
Essaouira, Morocco
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

Like anywhere, it depends on your expectations, how long you intend to stay and the season when you come. Summer is obviously much more expensive than winter, as landlords can make much more renting by the night or week during the peak season. You would be in the best negotiating position if you came to Essaouira n winter and negotiated to stay right through the summer and out the other side.

You should budget for 2,500-4,000 dirham a month (around 250-400 eur) for a one or two bed apartment, although it's easy to pay more. Registered estate agencies will charge a month's rent as their fee and will expect a guarantee and/or deposit. A guy you meet in a cafe might find you somewhere cheaper; his fee may be lower, but you might not get a contract to guarantee your rights. It depends on your take on the cost/benefit.

Everyone has different views, but many say the traditional buildings in the medina can be damp and expensive because of the attraction for short-stay tourists. In the newer developments outside the medina, Azlef, Borj and Rawnak are popular with expat residents but prices are often pitched accordingly. Sea views also push up the price. Rooftop 'garconnier' flats can be reasonable - they have the benefit of light and the terrace and suit footloose foreigners who (unlike Moroccans) don't need umpteen salons to accommodate large family gatherings.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

I have paid the equivalent to $30 a night for a two-bedroom apartment in Essaouria outside the medina. Very clean and comfortable, but the kitchen was poorly equipped. It had a shower and eastern toilet. Furniture was beautiful.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

@5, I think you mean Western toilet, as opposed to an Arab-style squat toilet?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

No, I mean an eastern toilet on which one squats. Arab-style, as you call it, is used all over the eastern world and does not have an ethnicity. I have seen them in many countries David, including China.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,679 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

In the UK we used to call them French toilets, the French call them Turkish toilets, goodness know what the Turks call them. And interestingly an American calls them Eastern toilets.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 22:02
NZ
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

Turks just call them toilets with no qualifiers at all.

Essaouira
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment in Essaouira

This is refreshing :) Actually i heard Turkish called them Greek. Moreso the toilets as we westerners know them would in fact be originally of Turkish design ... Figure it out !

Post Number 4 is quite sensible. I have been going to Essaouira every year for many years, since Y2K in fact. I have known people whom rented appartements long & short term in & out of the medina, in new, old, decorated or not etc at montlly prices that varied from 1 000 to 10 000.

Examples : I had friends who now left that rented an empty but new apartment in Erraounak for 1500 per month. I have a friend who had an appartment that he rented out furnished (very nicely & fully furnished) @ 4500dh. Given what was offered i feel all of these propositions where very honest to cheap.

Last May i rented a furnished appartement a full month near the "ecole hotelière" for 2 500dh. It had 2 bedrooms, a nice living room, hole in the ground toilet that doubled to a shower. Small & ill equiped kitchen. But it fitted all my needs and budget. No paid intermediates. and i was told by Morrocan friends 100 eyes watching me in & out :D I am keeping this address to myself :D But i know there are a couple of those going around if you are not starting your search in high touristic season. Takes time & patience.

You can easely find such appartements @ 200dh per day. If you intend to stay indefinitly it's a good start since you have no lease. Plus you can negociate the price given you are staying say 1 or 2 months ... To answer your question : Figure 2 000dh per month for a guy with pale skin ;) will most probably be the floor price in a local styled appartment like the ones you find in old Chaabi quarter behind the school of Tourism. To start I would negociate 3 000 or better on a no lease basis and then start looking for better & eventually less expensive place. BTW many will not rent to single western origin men, thinking they will attract alcool, loose women and associated disturbances.

Then i aslo have a friend who has an appartment near Bouiba Doukala (the small door). I know she rents it out, but i don't know if it's rented now. I will ask her if she want's me to share her coordinates should you be interested.