We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

Hi all,

I've recently returned from my first trip to Morocco to find that I've fallen a little in love with Essaouira. Unfortunately we only spent a day trip there, but are hoping to return of 5days or so nect year.

Thing is, I can't seem to find any affordable flights direct from London. I think the cheapest way to get there is to fly to Agadir and then try to arrange a transfer from the airport to Ess. but the quotes I've got so far have been prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on getting there affordably? Or even if you know of any riads in the town that can offer a cheaper transfer service directly.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this- I'd love to spend more time there :)

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

Alternatively fly into Marrakech, spend the night there, then hop onto a bus the next morning.

Stick 'bus marrakech' into the Essaouira forum search box to find previous threads on this subject.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

The bus trip between Marrakech and Essaouira is very good. It runs regularly - journey time about 3hrs. Cost about 70 MAD each way from memory plus a small charge for bags in the hold. Buses are good ( but not the standard of UK's National Express). It stops just outside the wall of the Essaouira old town and there are guys there with barrows if you don't want to carry/wheel your own luggage that will take you into the old part, or taxis if you are staying outside the walls.

Tip - make sure you book your seat on the return bus in plenty of time. Don't just turn up and expect to be able to get a seat.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

there are an increasing number of flights going direct to Essaouira but none from UK as yet, so your best option is to go via Marrakech - pretty much the same distance as Agadir but there are more flights and buses to/from Marrakech.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

Thanks all- fingers crossed for next year then :)

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
813 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

Ryanair currently have a once a week (Saturday morning) flight from Essaouira to Marseille, and there is a connecting Ryanair flight from Marseille to Stansted leaving late afternoon, giving adequate connection time. Unfortunately the current schedule does not work for the outward leg of the journey, but as Tim says, you could fly to Marrakech and take the bus.

Who knows, perhaps next year there will be other/better options.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

That's true... I can see Essaouira becoming an increasingly popular spot for more tourists in the next few years... I wanted to go back soon so I can still enjoy the charm of the place before it gets overrun!

7. Re: Trip advice- flights and transfers to Essaouira on a budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Essaouira