We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marrakech or essaouira first

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Topic
marrakech or essaouira first

We are visiting Morroco for the first time in february.we arrive 8pm sunday and fly back lunchtime onthe saturday (marrakech airport). not sure how to divide time and where to stay first

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marrakech or essaouira first

It's great that you have so much flexibility. Personally, I would spend the first two or three days in Marrakech, next take a couple of days in Essaouira, then return for the last couple of days in Marrakech. Certainly, for a first trip to Morocco, I would want to make sure that I had more time in Marrakech, where there is so much of the best of Morocco to savour, than on the coast. I would also want to avoid the pressure of returning to Marrakech and flying home on the same day.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Essaouira
Essaouira
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marrakech or essaouira first

Hi,

Personally I'd start and finish in Marrakech and have at least an overnight stay in Essaouira. If you felt you wanted more you could always have a day trip from Marrakech into the mountains. Think about Sunday, Monday and Tuesday in Marrakech, Wednesday a day trip to Ouirgane, Thursday overnight in Essaouira then Friday night in Marrakech before you leave on Saturday.

It's a short holiday so you may want to forget about the mountain visit on this occasion.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 22:39
Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: marrakech or essaouira first

Essaouira can be bitterly cold in February - winds from the North Atlantic - (but isn't always) so you may wish to limit your stay there for only one night only. This would leave you the time to visit a location in the High Atlas as a day trip to provide contrast to the city.

Mentioned in this post
Essaouira
Essaouira
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
Atlas Essaouira & Spa
1,176 Reviews
Essaouira, Morocco
Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: marrakech or essaouira first

If you picked up the suggestion of a trip to the High Atlas Mountains you might, of course, have a fairly chilly experience there, too! At altitude in February, the nights will certainly be cold although you could well find blue skies and sunshine during the days. If you look to do a bit of trekking, should snow fall you would probably be limited to a low level route although your experience would be no less beautiful for this. Given the choice of the mountains or Essaouira, I would head for the mountains every time: your experience would offer a wonderful contrast to the hustle of Marrakech.

Mentioned in this post
High Atlas Mountains
High Atlas Mountains
423 Reviews
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech
Marrakech
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: marrakech or essaouira first

Mountains for me too. This video is shot near Imlil in January 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAPIjbEAVX0

6. Re: marrakech or essaouira first

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Essaouira