We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Essaouira Restaurants

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Essaouira Restaurants

Hi im looking to go to Essaouira late march for about 4 days and i would like to sample the local food and eat where the locals eat,i.e the non tourist restaurants.There are a lot recommended on the tripadvisor restaurant section so im interested in personal recommendations from people who have more experience in Essaouira. Thanks.

PRO RAID Mogador
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Iguana Sahara Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Customized Morocco Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

Hi,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298349-i9865-k684…

Should be of interest but you also have to know that many Moroccans won't actually eat in restaurants as they would rather snack in a café or eat a meal at home.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

I particularly liked the Laayoune Restaurant when I visited Essaouira in Oct 2012.

Restaurant seating was fairly Moroccan style, relaxed atmosphere (as a single diner I did not feel uncomfortable which I can in many restaurants), varied menu and good food. I would happily eat there again.

I did leave a review on TA at the time.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g298349-…

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

I certainly second the suggestion given in post 1 - the fish stalls offer an amazing choice of seafoods (try the sea urchins!)

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
660 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

Also agree on the fact that Moroccans traditionally don't really eat in restaurants much, but seem to snack on Moroccan fast food at stalls incessantly. So to eat where the locals eat head to the stalls that serve up steaming bowls of snails or maybe a stall selling soup (try the butter bean and garlic soup....it’s really good). I’d also expect to see plenty of Moroccans at the fish stalls (usually eating the small fish we avoid), but don’t expect local prices.....barter hard if you don’t want to pay a fortune for a little bit of grilled fish.

I found that in towns and cities in Morocco that don’t get tourists you don’t get many (if any) restaurants......Oujda had no restaurants at all and it’s a huge University town! This and the fact that many Moroccans go home for lunch (see the school kids traipsing home over lunch....no hanging out at the local kebab shop for them) suggests that restaurants are a tourist orientated thing with local Moroccans enjoying them as a treat rather than the norm, unlike say Thailand or India where eating out is much more common for locals of all status and wealth.

This may be why there isn’t really such thing as a local restaurant in Morocco, but plenty of food stalls or cafes that serve snacks or light meals.

Europe
Level Contributor
121 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

Was in Essaouira a few weeks ago. Tried a number of restaurants but none of them were anywhere near as good as food eaten when we ate at our lodgings (unfortunately not in Essaouira). The home cooked food far surpassed any of that tried in restaurants in Essaouira. Sorry to sound negative but there are just too many tourists at Essaouira and that rarely helps quality. Maybe the best bet is to look at TA reviews of Dars in and around Essaouira and see if any one of those gets consistently good reports about in-house eating. In spite of unremarkable food, Essaouira is still a cool place to visit.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
660 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

Didn’t want to be too negative about restaurants in Essa’, but Clifford tells it how it is. I also found the tourist restaurants quite boring and mediocre and found myself eating from little stalls a lot as it was much more interesting and good value. As I mentioned, due to locals not really eating at restaurants, the food in them is really tourist orientated, with quality and price set accordingly. There are some high end places that are supposed to be good, but they certainly don’t serve “local” food that a Moroccan would eat on a daily basis.

I found the places that were not Moroccan food were really quite good though, like a pizza place that was really good and cheap, and a little Italian (run by an Italian lady) which had some of the best Italian food I’ve had, with homemade pasta and imported fine ingredients........but why go to Morocco to eat Italian!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

I would do the fish stalls for a really great dining experience. You can't really get away from the tourists in Essaouira unless you are eating with someone at their home -- which is the eating preference of most locals.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

Just a thought... Would there be more 'local' type restaurants - tajine cafes etc - in the 'other' part of Essaouira?

When I visited Essaouria I didn't venture outside the walled fortress part and yet there is more to the town than that. I would imagine that many of the Moroccans who work in the touristic old walled area will actually live in the other part. If that is the case I would imagine that there are more opportunities for typical local dining there.

Roscommon, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

Thanks for the replies, food for thought you might say!...Will try the small stalls although will be a bit of a problem as the other half doesnt eat fish!

10. Re: Essaouira Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Essaouira
Recent Conversations