We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress etiquette in Morocco

melbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Dress etiquette in Morocco

When coming to Morocco, or any muslim country for that matter, it's so important to consider dress etiquette. Moroccans are very modest people, men and women alike, particularly when in public cover their bodies. As a sign of respect whilst travelling in Morocco it's advisable to cover your shoulders, cleavage and knees. Wearing a simple cotton shawl will suffice for shoulders and mid calf or ankle length loose trousers or skirts are a good idea. Close fitting lycra is considered an undergarment here in Morocco…so best leave the gym gear at home! You will be treated with a lot more respect and will save yourself any unwanted attention from any dodgy characters! Too often I see tourists wearing very little clothing in Morocco, much to the shock of the locals…they find it offensive and embarrassing. And whilst on the subject of etiquette…public display of affection, kissing and petting are an absolute NO NO. For Moroccans, intimacy is expressed privately, behind closed doors. Moroccans are good humoured, kind and generous people, big on welcoming you…please respect and honour their culture in return. Have loads of fun and enjoy your adventure, but beware, Moroccans have a saying "Morocco gets under your skin!".

Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

A useful post and yes I agree that the more you cover yourself (as a female) the less stares, attention and hassling you will get.

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

What is the tipping etiquette in Morocco? I have found this post helpful, thank you.

melbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

tips are greatly appreciated in morocco. as the monthly wage for a waiting job is about AUS$250 per month for a 6 day week…tips are what people work towards! a job well done deserves a 10% tip. also porters, cleaners, toilet keepers, etc. rely on your tips to be the cream on a very low wage. moroccans are very kind and obliging people…more than i have ever experienced in any other country i have been to. they are very ready with a warm smile and a willingness to have a friendly chat. they will be grateful for your kindness.

melbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

thankyou

melbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

thankyou

Edited: 14 July 2014, 17:20
Newmarket, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

Your information is very helpful. I'll be in Morocco in September and will dress accordingly.

Thank you

melbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

thanks Tracy

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

Sorry to jump in but I have a query regarding clothing. I'm planning to be in essaouira and looking forward to being on the coast. I presume swimwear is acceptable on the beach? (Sorry if that's a silly question!)

Also if we're eating at a restaurant by the beach would short shorts and t shirts be ok or do we need to cover up as much as we would in the media as/souks?

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

Beach wear is fine at the beach and shorts and t-shirt are fine at a beach side cafe

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress etiquette in Morocco

Thanks - how about vest tops would that be pushing it a bit?

Get answers to your questions about Essaouira