We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fishing

Hi all, I'm going to be in the Valanculos area in a little more than a week and I would like to take advantage of the amazing fishing that this area is known for.

Due to both budget (less than $300 for deep sea from a boat/around $100 or less for beach fishing) and preference, I would like to find an operator willing to do fishing from the beach. It seems this can be done on one of the various islands, but I'm still unclear as to who I can contact to set it up. I wouldn't be against fishing near Vilanculos if other options are unavailable or it offers an advantage.

Ideally I would be most interested in large shark species. Does anyone have information on what species are likely to be caught this time of year and what area they are to be found? If targeting sharks specifically isn't feasible, then my focus would turn to any big game fish in the area that's likely to be caught......if not, I would be happy to just fish for anything lol.

I tried contacting Big Blue, but they haven't been much help as of now....other suggestions that fit what I'm looking for?

If I can't find someone willing to do shore fishing, I'm almost tempted to ask if it can be added on during a dhow safari/sunset cruise/etc.....if anyone can provide info it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BigDinner

Edited: 05 June 2014, 19:19
Mentioned in this post
Vilanculos
Vilanculos
Inhambane Province, Mozambique
2 replies to this topic
Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Bazaruto is a marine reserve. If you want to fish best not to go to Vilanculos....

Mentioned in this post
Bazaruto Island
Bazaruto Island
Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique
Vilanculos
Vilanculos
Inhambane Province, Mozambique
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

For those wanting to fish in the vilanculos/Bazaruto Archipelago, I think the most economical option is to contact a dhow safari operator in the area and ask if they will add it on to the trip. Most of the quotes I got for fishing were in the $400-$600 range, but for that price, it wouldn't be worth it. I asked our dhow safari operator if we could do some casual fishing during the trip or on the islands shores (which people do) and was told no problem. Cost? Free of charge. They just added it in to the trip. When planning any trip/excursions it can never hurt to do your own research in conjunction with other avenues of info. More often than not, it will pay off.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 23:04
Mentioned in this post
Bazaruto Island
Bazaruto Island
Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique
Reply to: Fishing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bazaruto Archipelago