We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brandberg versus Twijfelfontein

Which Swakopmund hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Topic
Brandberg versus Twijfelfontein

We are travelling to Namibia in July 2012 (2 adults/2kids 12+13 yrs). I would like advise about the following: I have planned 1 night on the White Lady Lodge campsite and 2 nights in the Aabadi Mountain Camp (or Abu Huab: advise?) at Twijfelfontein. Would it be better to skip Brandberg and to drive straight on to Twijfelfontein and stay there for 3 nights? White Lady is only to break the long drive from Swakopmund (via Uis).

Another question: is it (relatively) safe to leave a 4x4 roof tent car for a couple of hours in front of The Swakopmund Hotel? My common sense says "no" but apparently this is suggested/proposed by Living Desert Tours as they use this as a pickup point. We plan to stay at the Sophia Dale campsite. Or is it better to take a taxi from Sophia Dale to the Swakopmund Hotel? Wanted to stay at Alte Brucke but apparantly the campsite is full.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brandberg versus Twijfelfontein

The campsite at White Lady Lodge is very nice, and the hike up to the White lady Painting is also good, so it is worth a stop...and it has the bonus of breaking the drive up.

Re: Leaving your car at the Swakopmund Hotel.

You are highly unlikely to have any problems doing this at all.

The car park has its own security guards, but it isn't as if it is in a dodgy area or anything.

I have left my car overnight in that car park several times and never had a problem

Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brandberg versus Twijfelfontein

Dear Gemma, thank you so much for your reply. As many others I also have trouble getting my reservations for Etosha and Sesriem confirmed by NWR. Made my booking in November and they keep postponing the confirmation over and over again due to "system changes". Is there anything else I can do but to wait for confirmation?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brandberg versus Twijfelfontein

They are busy changing over to a new system (still)...actually I have heard that is the original system they are going back to. We can only hope as this last one hasn't been fabulous.

Did you at least get a reservation number?

Basically everything from June onwards is getting res numbers and then the confirmations are being sent out once the new system is going.

The Waterberg ones I am already receiving. The Etosha and Sesriem ones I haven't received yet, but have reservation numbers.

If you have an e mail with a reservation number then you will be fine.

If you just have an e mail saying yes it is booked, but no actual reservation number then I would be inclined to chase them up for one!

I have also been waiting for months now.

I feel pretty sorry for the reservations consultants too, they are getting a hard time with all this system nonsense. Hopefully the new one will be more effective.

Gemma Dry

Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brandberg versus Twijfelfontein

Hi Gemma, no I did not receive a confirmation number although I have requested for it several times. I have sent a new mail just now to all the NWR reservation contacts I have, really begging them for the confirmation number. I do have a mail with a personal confirmation of Mrs. T. Kaulu telling me my booking is secure. I do feel sorry for them, I am sure they are trying their best. Just wait and see what happens. We are travelling in July, if I do not get the confirmation by then, we will show up early on the campsites and see what we can arrange at the reception desk. Bringing with me ofcourse the "personal confirmation"....

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brandberg versus Twijfelfontein

Definitely double check they have a booking for you.

Hopefully this 'new system' will be up and running soon, because everything from June onwards is being held via e mail confirmations rather than the official confirmations. I can only imagine the chaos that will ensue in peak season if people are just turning up with printed e mails!

6. Re: Brandberg versus Twijfelfontein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 21:15