We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature in Namibia

Which Swakopmund hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
198 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature in Namibia

I am going on a Gap Adventure camping trip to Namibia, Botswana, and Zambia starting in mid April. I am suppose to bring a sleeping bag but would like someone's opinion about whether I could get away with just a sheet sleeping bag. I just don't want to lug a sleeping bag around. I am hoping that I could do with a fleece and sheet sleeping bag. Is that a foolish choice?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature in Namibia

It can get quite cold at night under those clear skies. I would manange Ok but you might not.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature in Namibia

Yes - it might be foolish. What makes you think its warm at night? Much of the country is 5000 feet up, and the desert retains no heat at night, with cloudless skies.

A 30C daily range in temperatures is not that unusual.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature in Namibia

I generally take a sleeping bag at that time of year as I would rather carry about a sleeping bag I don't need, than need it even a couple of nights and not have one...but I do feel the cold easily.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
198 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature in Namibia

Thanks for the input. I am from Canada so am not unfamiliar with cold. I thought that I could sleep with my fleece and warm underwear along with a cotton sheet and that would be enough. It's just that I want to travel with just hand luggage. Maybe I will bring a fleece blanket instead of the sleeping bag, which is bulky. Guess I will just have to deal with it.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature in Namibia

As mentioned above it would probably be wise to bring more than a cotton sheet along with warm underwear. Being a desert country Namibia can have extreme temperature differences between day and night. April is Autumn and it can get very cold and windy at places. As our destination expert says, it's always better to have one you don't need, rather than freeze at night longing for your sleeping bag in the back of your closet. :)

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
198 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature in Namibia

Yah, thanks. Have crammed my sleeping bag into my suitcase. Thanks everyone.

7. Re: Temperature in Namibia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2013, 09:19