We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4x4 sandwich harbor tour

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
257 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
4x4 sandwich harbor tour

We are gonna stay in Walvis Bay for one day. We plan to do Kayak in the monring and wonder if it is worth the time and money to do the 4x4 sandwich harbor tour. Any advice?

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 4x4 sandwich harbor tour

You really don't want to drive over the dunes to Sandwich Harbour in your own vehicle unless you have exceptional dune driving experience. You have a very good chance of ending up rolling your vehicle.

I've seen it too many times.

People think it looks easy, but if you don't know what you are doing or you take it slightly wrong you are upside down before you know it. Having a guide car in front makes no difference....either you have experience in that terrain or not. If not leave it to the professionals for your own safety......there are very good reasons virtually no rental firm lets you do this.

Pretoria
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: 4x4 sandwich harbor tour

We are also planning a visit to Namibia next year July and while we are staying in Swakop we would very much like it to do the 4x4 Sandwich Harbor tour while we are there. We would however prefer to do the tour with our own 4x4's with the assistance of a professional guide. Will it be possible ?

kleinvlooi

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 4x4 sandwich harbor tour

Hi,

When you say "assistance of a professional guide" do you mean the guide would do the actual driving or he would direct you over the track while you do the driving?

I don't know how experinced you are in dune driving but the general consensus is not to do that.

Only recently I was looking at Facebook page of Sandwich Harbour 4 by 4 and they had put up a photo of some tourists stuck there who needed rescuing. From their moaning that seems to be a common occurrence even when one follows the tracks of fishermen. Apparently rescuing people damages the existing tracks.

I think it's best for you to get in touch directly with the local tour operators.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 14:36
14. Re: 4x4 sandwich harbor tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:16