We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glass bottom boats

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Glass bottom boats

We are going to Poum ,Noumea and the Isle of Pines in September on a P&O cruise and my partner has not seen a coral reef and I would like to know if there is glass bottom boats that take people out to the reefs at any of these places and if so what is the cost.

Thank you, Steve.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
120 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glass bottom boats

Steve,

Sorry I don't know about glass bottom boats at any of these three locations but if you have time you could do the day trip to Phare Amedee (a lighthouse on an island on the outer reef) and there they have a glass bottom boat, fish feeding, etc. The day trip departs from Noumea, this website has a photo of the glassbottom boat and contact information: www.amedeeisland.com

Not sure what the cost is sorry, but perhaps send them an email asking for details, if you have time to make the trip (depending on how long the cruise ship stops in Noumea).

Hope this helps

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glass bottom boats

Hello Steven,

When you dock in Noumea If you make your way to the Anse Vata you can catch a water taxi to Isle de Canard (5min trip). Here they have a marine reserve where they have a glass bottom boat & also a guided snorkelling tour.

On the Ille de Pins you will have the opportunity to snorkel straight of the beach at la prisine. Just a short distance from shore in relatively shallow water your girlfriend will see lots of coral & many colourful fish.

You will be able to hire snorkel & fins on the ship if you get in early.

Are you going to Mystery Island?

Have Fun.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glass bottom boats

Thank you for your help, Steve

Townsville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glass bottom boats

Steve, just in case you haven't left yet and have some time in Noumea. There is a very nice reef to snorkel on right off the beach in the Baie de Citron, one of the main bays in Noumea city. If you stand on the beach, you'll be able to see the remains of an old jetty to the left of the bay - wooden piles standing out of the water. The reef around there is excellent with lots of big fish and healthy coral growth, amazing since it;s right in the city! It's a marine park so it's amazing how big the fish are (coral trout, trevally etc), and you'll also see the usual reef personalities like anemone fish and surgeon fish. There are also lots of really cool seasnakes around so you might be lucky enought to see some. They are totally harmless - the ones I saw completely ignored me and just swam along doing they're own thing! If you have time, well worth a look!

melbourne victoria
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glass bottom boats

hi steven, yes there are glass bottom boats to go on .i went on a p.o cruise a few years back i remember some people did go on them .you'll enjoy it.cristle clear waters all around those islands if your going to isle of pines which hubby and i did you'll love it so much its just blows you away with the beauty of it all. hope this helps.

6. Re: Glass bottom boats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 05:17