We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khasab - Mountain Jebel Harim Tour

Wermelskirchen...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Khasab - Mountain Jebel Harim Tour
Save

With interest I was reading already some other threads at this forum on Khasab "dhow cruise and mountain safari" as we are planning to do the same end of November 2013

I have already contacted two tour operators (Khasab and Al Taif Tours) and got their feedback. But most probably we will just book the "Dhow Cruise" on arrival to have some better flexibility on the day or make arrangements only one or two days in advance.

So we will most probably go for the 09am half day Dhow Cruise and in the afternoon we are planning the mountain safari.

I am having having two questions left for the Jebel Harim Mountain Tour

1) Do we need a 4x4 with a driver or could we do the mountain tour on our own? We will have a Jeep Cherokee or something similar. I will not know in advance if the Cherokee is a 4x4 or just 2 wheel. My experiences are with the Sani Pass in Lesotho and several tracks in Chobe & Moremi in Botswana. Usually I prefer privacy without a driver

2) Some articles are saying that there is a military zone starting at 1.600m and private vehicles can't go thru. Are guided tours to have permission to climb up to 2.000m and would it be worthwhile doing the last 400m? Just the difference in case we would go on our own and guided tour woul go up to the top (2.000m)

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Khasab - Mountain Jebel Harim Tour
Save

Yes, there is a military zone at the top of Jebel Harim so no-one can go right to the top, but you get pretty high! The drive through the mountains is beautiful. The road is now paved for the early part of the route - I'm not sure how far they've got with the tarmac now, it's a year or so since I was last there, but after that it is a well-maintained gravel road/track. If you have a 4WD Jeep Cherokee then you'd be fine. If you have 2WD it does depend a bit on how the weather has been - if it's been raining recently parts of the road can be a bit rocky if they haven't had time to fix it - or if you get caught up there in the rain (happened to me once!) then you'd be better off with 4WD because the dry wadis suddenly become rivers - but everyone kind of looks out for each other, so someone would tell you if the road wasn't clear or help you if you were in trouble.

It's not a difficult drive at all, but it's bendy and amazing views. Well worth going.

2. Re: Khasab - Mountain Jebel Harim Tour

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Khasab
$USD
United Kingdom
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.