We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UAE hire car to Khasab?

Which Khasab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
UAE hire car to Khasab?

Hello, I'm reading a lot of different information about taking a hire car from Dubai across the UAE border and into Oman.

We have hired a car from Payless in Dubai, and wish to travel to Khasab. Can we take the car to Oman, and do we need to purchase Oman insurance from somewhere? Which would be the best border crossing to try?

Any clarification appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

Can we take the car to Oman

>> You need to contact the rental company - some allow it, some don't.

do we need to purchase Oman insurance from somewhere?

>> Yes, if you are permitted to take the car across the border, you need Oman insurance. If the rental company are allowing you to take the car, they will be able to organise this for you, although they often charge what seems a lot of money for this.

Which would be the best border crossing to try?

>> There is only one border crossing, called Tibat, which is north of Ras Al Khaimah. It's a very straightforward process, although can take a little time if it's busy. You will need to get a visa there too, which I'm sure you're aware of, which will be 5 OR if you're staying for less than 10 days + I think 35 AED exit fee from UAE side.

Despite what you see on the maps, you can't cross into Musandam from the Dibba side. There is a border crossing on that side, but only for UAE and Omani citizens (I'm assuming you're neither).

Enjoy Musandam!

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

Spot on information from GertrudeBell09. Just to add that there is an insurance office at the border where you can buy Oman insurance. It is a 5 day minimum insurance and will cost 150aed. Just be aware it is only 3rd party cover while your rental company insurance will be more expensive it will be full comprehensive cover. Also the border crossing is signposted as Al Dara (Darah) and you will rarely see it posted as Tibat. Once in Ras al-Khaimah follow signs for Shams ( the last village before the border) and Al Dara. Enjoy one of my favourite road trips.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

Thank for all the info.

I have been lurking on this forum for a while now. DH and I are renting from Sixt Dubai Airport in April and got the necessary extra insurance for Oman. Read on a previous posting that there is also a letter required from the rental company stating that you are allowed to take the car to Oman. Is this correct?

Thank for your help

Petra

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

Make sure you have ALL the car documents with you especially the "credit card" type vehicle registration card that is normally kept behind the drivers sun visor. Have the rental agreement and a letter from the company would be great. Anything to make the border crossing run smooth. The Omani side is better than it used to be. You no longer have to sit in your car making out paperwork. They have an arrivals office although the counter system can be a bit chaotic at busy times. The visa application form is very straight forward it is basically passport information.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

I've always found the border crossing at to be pretty straightforward, I've never seen it chaotic but that may be because I avoid crossing around the weekend (Thurs/Fri/Sat).

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

We will rent a car in Dubai and we want to go to Musandam first and Oman mainland afterwards.

I have two questions about the mountain road from Khasab to Dibba.

1) Is it possible to do it in 2WD car (i.e. Honda Civic or Mitsubishi Lancer)?

2) Do I understand well that we will be turned right at Wadi Bih checkpoint to RAK road and not allowed left to Dibba ?

Oman
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

Hi there,

1). No, you cannot go with a salon car on this route. Some of the places are very steep there.

2). You cannot go from Khasab to Dibba just through the mountains. It is restricted area. You must go via RAK check point only.

Check with Dubai rent-a-car company if your car has an insurance for Oman as well.

Sincerely,

Edited: 10 September 2014, 06:31
Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

Valentina is correct.

Also if you did attempt from Khasab to Dibba in 4 wheel drive you would not be turned right I into RAK, you would be turned back to Khasab. Only Omani or UAE nationals are allowed to cross in Wadi Bih. The only way by road to and from Khasab is the Al Dara checkpoint.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

Thank you. I will check if the ferry from Khasab to Shinas or Muscat would work for us.

Is the road to Sayh Plateau/Khor Najd steeper/worse than to Jebel Shams (to the hotel or first viewpoint)? This was easy with 2WD car. I want to camp on both places.

Oman
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UAE hire car to Khasab?

For sure you need 4WD car there. Do not play with your life. Try to be on the safe side!

Get answers to your questions about Khasab