We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nizwa and Bilad Sayt as a day trip from Muscat?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
360 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Nizwa and Bilad Sayt as a day trip from Muscat?

My friend and I are going to be in Muscat for 3 nights next week (followed by 3 nights in Salalah) and we're planning to hire a driver and do a day trip from Muscat to Nizwa and the surrounding area. I'd also like to visit Bilad Sayt and found a tour agency that said they can add Bilad Sayt to the Nizwa day trip for an extra cost. Is it reasonable to cover both Nizwa and Bilad Sayt in a day trip, or would that be too ambitious? We don't want to spend all of our time driving, but do want to see as much as we can in a short stay.

Thanks for any advice.

Level Contributor
563 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nizwa and Bilad Sayt as a day trip from Muscat?

You'll have to spend a fair bit of time in the car but I had no problem getting to Nizwa and Jebel Shams (near the resort) and back in a day. I left Muscat really early and took well under 2 hours to get to Nizwa, in time to see the early Friday markets. I looked around Nizwa (including a long time in the fort) and went on to Jebel Shams, which was probably only 1 hour further. I think I also stopped at a couple of other towns and was still back in Muscat by mid-afternoon. It might depend on how long you want to look at things for. There aren't too many attractions in the area, mostly just amazing scenery. The roads were very good, even the dirt roads after Al Hamra. It looks like it's a different road to Bilad Sayt, maybe steeper, but I can't think that it would be too far. You could still spend 5-6 hours in the car, but the mountains are spectacular and it's worth going beyond Nizwa.

London, United...
Level Contributor
761 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nizwa and Bilad Sayt as a day trip from Muscat?

Muscat Nizwa 2 hours

Nizwa to top cliff 1hour

Top of cliff through Wadi Bani Awf to Muscat 4 hours

Side trip off this to Bilad Sayt (return) 40 mins

Take 30mins off each of the first three times if you drive very fast and don't stop for photos.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
360 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nizwa and Bilad Sayt as a day trip from Muscat?

Thanks, mrdom and al_in_muscat for the helpful info. We went ahead with visiting Nizwa and Bilad Sayt on a custom day trip organized by Muscat Diving Adventure Centre. It was a rather long day, but the trip to Bilad Sayt was definitely worth it and the scenery quite a bit different from the Nizwa area.

4. Re: Nizwa and Bilad Sayt as a day trip from Muscat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Nizwa