We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salalah for disabled

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Salalah for disabled

Will be in Salalah on Dec 17 as a cruise stop.Can walk some but use a wheelchair for longer distances.What is there that I could do?

AM interested in history,culture,crafts etc. Appreciate any help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salalah for disabled

To tell you the truth, Salalah is pretty difficult. The standard stop is in Haffa, the old market area. It may be a bit difficult getting around here, but there are no big staircases or anything to make it impossible.

Baleed archeological park is another popular sight. This is definitely more accessible. The "park" and the attached museum are both very interesting for history buffs. It is just a couple minutes down the road from Haffa, so nice and easy to get to.

Samharam/Khor Rori would be a bit difficult I think.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salalah for disabled

Thank you, Greasy .Am posting private message to you.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salalah for disabled

Hi Lira77,

The new mosque in the middle of town is worth a visit and is wheelchair friendly. It has a magnificent chandelier and visitors are made most welcome.

Just dress with decorum and have a scarf to cover your head.

Peter & Jean. :o)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salalah for disabled

Thank you Peter and Jean for a very good suggestion. Does anyone know if I could get a taxi at the dock that would take my husband and me and wheelchair around?

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salalah for disabled

Hi Lira,

The taxis queue up just outside the gates to the docks. If you can get a lift to the gates from your ship you will have no trouble. However make sure you bargain with them. The cost should be about 5 - 10 Rials for the TAXI do not let them charge you more or try to charge you for each person!!!

I have not been inside the port for a while and it is possible that they now let the taxis on to the port to go to the ships... but I am not sure of this.

My friend has a taxi but is away on a course at the moment. If he gets back soon I will see if he will give you a price for a small tour.

If so I will send you a PM.

Unfortunately I will be off to the UK on my holidays on 14th December otherwise I would have been able to drive you around.

Edited: 12 October 2011, 03:45
Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salalah for disabled

Hi again Lira,

If you can let me know your expected arrival and departure times I will try and contact a couple of friends who drive taxis in their spare time.

I will see if they can give you a package price for a small tour.

I have not been to Job's tomb recently but believe that you would have little trouble getting from the gates to the tomb. It is well worth a look if only because it is one of the most peaceful places I have ever visited.

If this is of interest to you and it goes ahead I would be able, at a later date, to let you have a phone number (cell) for whichever driver is available.

I hope that this helps.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salalah for disabled

Dear Pete and Jean,

You bet your kind response helps.It would be great if one of your taxi friends could help us out. We will be in Salalah on Dec. 17 from 10:00 to 16:00

All I know is what I have read about. I would definitely like to do the museum,the souk,and Job's tomb if it isn't too difficult for me. I so appreciate your kindness.THank you so much. Lira

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salalah for disabled

Taxis are incredibly cheap around Salalah. Just OMR 1 for a trip within the greater Salalah area (500bz within the main part of the city). Not sure where that 5-10 number comes from, haha.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salalah for disabled

Hi greasy,

It is true that if you are a "local" the prices are not too bad. However if you are European or Amarican they do try it on. By "local" I mean someone like you and I who live here.

When the cruise ships are in port the taxi drivers put their prices right up.

Last year when there was an American Navy ship in they were charging RO15 from the Oasis Club to the Hilton Hotel... and that was per person!!!

Edited: 15 October 2011, 03:18
Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salalah for disabled

Hi Lira,

As soon as I have something for you I will send a PM.

Get answers to your questions about Salalah