We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The winds and the bajareque

Which Boquete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
The winds and the bajareque

We are planning to spend four nights at the Coffee Estate in Boquete January 18-21. I am not asking for guarantees, but input regarding these trade winds and misty bajareque would be helpful from someone who knows the area. As we may travel at any time to this region, would we be wiser to plan the the trip at another time.

I know the conditions vary, but can one still proceed with hiking and outdoor activiites?

Thanks so much.

Isla Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The winds and the bajareque

Some wind and bajareque won't stop you (or shouldn't) from hiking and enjoying all of the outdoor activities that Boquete is famous for!

I've been in Boquete during the last 5 years during January when the Coffee and Flowers Festival takes place and if my memory doesn't betray me, the second weekend has been nicer weather wise than the first one (although the fair is significantly more crowded), so by the time you get into town the north winds should have calmed down a bit.

But as anywhere in the tropics... with the weather you never know... but as I said, in January you should have plenty of sunshine in Boquete and when not, the bajareque and wind doesn't stop people from hiking, rafting, ziplining or any of the other cool stuff you can do in Boquete...

Boquete, Panama
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The winds and the bajareque

I have lived full-time in Bouqete for the past four years. One of Boquete's "charms" is that one never knows what the weather will be like. It has been particularly unpredictable for the past couple of years. Having said that, however, January and February typically are very windy and dry. Depending on where you are, as the Boquete area has many micro-climates, the wind can be downright fierce. I certainly would not count on being able to zip line during that period of time, and hiking might be less than ideal, again depending on the velocity of the winds.

If you are deadset on pleasant outdoor activities and have a choice of when you can visit, I would recommend March through May or June.

Boquete, Panama
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The winds and the bajareque

Panamajoules, I overlooked your post before posting my own answer to the question. Respectfully, having lived here full-time for four years,I must say that the winds typically become progressively stronger during January and February. The bajareque is not an issue, at least for me, as it's preferable to rain and is what gives us those lovely rainbows for which Boquete is famous.

Isla Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The winds and the bajareque

It's OK but I have to disagree with what you say about not being able to zipline and hike.

From December to March almost every single tour gets completely booked and this wouldn't be possible if what you said is true...

Boquete, Panama
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The winds and the bajareque

1) How do you know this?

2) Are "booking" and "doing" the same? (I've "booked" many activities which never came to fruition.)

Isla Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The winds and the bajareque

1. Because before moving to Bocas del Toro three months ago I also lived in Boquete for the last 5 years

2. Because I'm one of the owners of two business in Boquete that resell the zipline canopy tour and in January and February of this year we sent them around 40 customers (and I'm quite certain that during those months they have around 20 customers per day).

3. Because we also operate hikes, and January and February are the months in which we most customers have, with at least one hike per day and sometimes even 2 or 3.

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The winds and the bajareque

The winds usually start in January and end in March or April, but can vary from year to year. I know this because I live in one of the windiest areas of Boquete. However, I have never heard about a tour of any kind canceled because of wind. The rains from June to November are more problematic for outdoor activities. Most of the hiking trails are on the opposite side of the valley from the head on winds; and are protected by the forests you are hiking in. I wouldn't want to be at the top of the Baru during the winds but it certainly isn't like being in Florida during a hurricane. I think the winds and bajareque are a non-issue; January to March is the nesting season for the Quetzal and the best time to 'take a hike'.

Boquete, Panama
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The winds and the bajareque

This link may be useful: boqueteweather.com/climate/data_annual.htm

Isla Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The winds and the bajareque

That's a really useful link. I'm "favouriting" it.

10. Re: The winds and the bajareque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 05:17