We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
104 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

I have read the thread about the previous wildlife refuge closing and I was bummed out, I was really looking forward to that on my upcoming trip to Boquete.

Does anyone know if the new place is open yet, or when it plans to open? I heard you ccan make an appt to see it...is that true? We will be in Boquete next week.

Thanks,

Sue

Boquete
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

Yes, it is open. It is not the same as Paradise Garden, it is more like a family park. You can read more about the new park and contact them : …typepad.com/boquete_mountain_safari_t/2010/…

I also hear they were not going to charge, but now the word is that it will be $4.00 for children and $8.00 for adults.

Arlington, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

Hi, i was interested in the La Jungla Boquete Animal Refuge as well. I'm thinking of visiting Boquete with my 9 yr old daughter and volunteering there a bit. Does anyone know much about this place, or have any thoughts on if this would be a worthwhile experience for a 9-yr old or not? We're looking for more than a petting zoo experience. Are there many native rescue animals there, and is it well-run? Anyone know the owners?

And how far is La Jungla from Boquete town center... it is walkable?

Thanks!

Edited: 25 February 2011, 22:26
3. Re: Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 April 2011, 22:05
Boquete
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

It is a WONDERFUL experience for a 9-year-old, 19-year-old or 90-year-old. The new owners are Dorothy & Duane Howes and the facility is amazing. Dorothy is PETA certified, has 30 years of experience with the rescue, rehabilitation & release of all types of wildlife. Her facility focuses on the animals of the rain forest, their rescue, recovery & release back into the jungle. The animals that cannot be released are integrated into an educational program for the local community, as well as for travelers. There is lodging, tours, weekend eco-adventures, a therapy program for autistic children, a petting zoo and YES, there are monkeys. Come visit anytime! For more information, call 507-6968-6010.

Asheville, North...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

You don't need an appointment! I think some people call ahead but I just showed up with my sister one day while we were staying in Boquete. We were let in by their super friendly staff and started off with a tour, WOW... friendly monkeys jumping all over us, a snake that would just hang out with us, baby goats that had been born literally minutes before we arrived. it was raining by the end of our tour so we didn't feel like leaving, and just hung out in their bar and drank some cappuccinos. there was a cool little community there, because they have a cute hostel and private little cabana-type thing right there in the middle of all the wildlife, and everyone seemed to know eachother and just be happy to hang out with one another and the animals. We loved this place!!

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

We stopped by here for a quick visit and ended up staying the day with Dorthy, her wonderful kids and her animals. It is a very special place. It would be a blast to stay in the cabana or hostel. Dorthy is a wonderful host.

7. Re: Boquete-Animal Refuge- La Jungla de Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 04:16