We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boquete Safety

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Boquete Safety

Hello,

I apologize if this question has been asked before!

I am considering travelling to Boquete to attend a spanish school. I am a female in my early 20's and will be travelling alone. I will likely want to stay in a hotel or an apartment within walking distance to the spanish school.

I was just wondering how safe it is to live in Boquete for a young woman. Is it safe to walk alone during the day? What about at night?

Any information is appreciated!

Isla Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boquete Safety

Panama: super safe!

Boquete: way too safe!

Yes, you can walk alone during the day and during the night. As anywhere, always use your common sense and don't expose yourself to unwanted situations.

If you're walking in Boquete's main streets, they are very well illuminated in the evenings, but on weekends people do get drunk. Nowhere in the world I'd want me daughter to walk alone with drunken people around. If you're walking on secondary streets, ask a fellow male student to walk you to your hotel.

The Spanish school that's it town is right on the main street, and there are loads of hotels within a 5 minute walk from it...

Safe travels!

@panamajoules

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boquete Safety

I agree with panamajoules - very safe, just general precautions.

There are some areas in Colon and (less) in Panama City to avoid, but not Boquete.

Boquete
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boquete Safety

It's a good question. Boquete (and most areas of Panama in general) are safe, with the exercise of common sense. During the day, I would have no hesitation about walking alone almost anywhere in Boquete, David or Bocas del Toro. A bit more caution required in Panama City--not violent crime, but purse snatching can happen to the unwary. At night, in Boquete, use reasonable caution. Walk with a friend, or in a group, don't go wandering around alone after 10 PM drunk. You know--the things your mother told you! Boquete is a lovely town. The Spanish schools are great. Be smart and you'll be fine. Enjoy.

4. Re: Boquete Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2013, 10:20