We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

Northern California
Level Contributor
123 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

My wife and I will be staying in Panama City (6 nights, Boquete City 2 (nights) uphill from Boquete (5 nights) and David (2 nights) in late March. As I near retirement, my wife and I want to experience living in foreign countries for 1-2 years each. I would qualify for Panama pension visa. We want to live out of the heat, don't mind rain and and generally avoid tourist traps. We enjoy mom & pop establishments and enjoy mountains, trees and wildlife. We are both in good health.

We are looking for suggestions on places or things to visit in order to give us a good indication of what life would be like to live there for a year or two.

Any thoughts will help

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

Check out Altos del Maria. Definitely not a tourist trap. 1 hour from Panama City, 30 minutes from Coronado shopping center and clinic. It's in the mountains with very nice views of the Pacific, 20 km away. Temperatures in the 70s and 80s while it's 92 in Coronado.

To get there, drive the Panamerican Hwy to Bejuco ... turn right at the sign ... keep going until you come to the gated community above Sorá.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

Check out Volcan -

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

gb_, sending them to Altos blindly will not help them, will it?. I have friends who live up there, and someone just driving up to look around will not even be let in the gate even tho I think it may be a good match for what they are looking for.

I guess they would best get in with a realtor.

Lots of expats in Boquete, don't know what all the fuss is about there.

Lots of expats in El Valle too and for that reason I would not advise bothering with either area.

Volcan, good idea.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

Perhaps things have changed, but when my wife and I went to Altos, there was a realtor on duty, ready to show people around the neighborhoods. Has that changed?

Altos has a website where you can contact a realtor and make arrangements to visit. www.altosdelmaria.com

You're about El Valle, LN. It has become very much a tourist destination, like Boquete. Also, the property -- what's left of the saleable lots -- is priced extremely high.

While Altos definitely is an expat community, it is certainly not a tourist location. It does have a number of advantages -- cool mountain temperatures, gated community, great views, very nice, scenic hiking trails, close to shopping and medical facilities, a nice little "mom and pop" restaurant just outside the gate and it's within 30 minutes of Coronado beach and a little over an hour from Panama City.

My wife and I were seriously considering buying a lot there, until we found our property about halfway between Altos and Bejuco.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

Yes, I said they could get in with the realtor; but needed to advise them so they will not just turn around and go back down the hill when the gate doesn't let them in. The sales office or the website should be able to help. I didn't know about the website.

6. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2012, 01:05
Indiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

Where would you suggest a couple wanting to spend the winter in Panama stay? We want to explore Panama but not the touristy places. We loved Costa Rica and was told Panama was a great place and cheaper.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

It is cheaper out past the All Inclusives area in Farallon - Rio Hato area, Penonome, for a start. They are NOT touristy areas.

Depends if you want to live near ocean, or have it cooler in mountains...

9. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2012, 16:35
10. Re: 15 nights in Panama-exploring for retirement

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2012, 20:13