We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama to David, express bus service

Which Boquete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Panama to David, express bus service

I haven't seen any recent posts and am wondering about the current situation. Arriving next week and thinking of taking an overnight express bus, renting a car in David to get up to Boquete and travel around from there. Question is regarding condition of buses, safety at terminal in Panama late night & which bus company to get us close to the airport & car rental (& not drop us out on the highway somewhere!)

Appreciate the feedback!

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama to David, express bus service

Using normal intelligent precautions the bus terminal is safe, both in Panama City and David. Use the bus Terminales de David, not Panafronte. The Terminales bus stops and the bis terminal from there you can get bus to Boquete and rent a car in Boquete.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama to David, express bus service

The buses are similar to greyhound buses in the U.S. Nice buses -very cold the

air is down very low. It is totally safe to take buses in Panama and indeed, the lease expensive mode of travel. Enjoy !

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama to David, express bus service

What is the name of the bus company or companies having daytime express service from Panama City to and from David, and contact info or website for same so we can get current schedules? We want to visit David (just briefly), Boquete', El Valle and Coronado Beach on two week trip. We understand it is confusing and frustrating to try to get out of Panama City by car, so we want to know whether practical to travel by express bus to and from David, picking up and returnind rental car to David and then catching express bus back to Panama City airport area. Can help?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama to David, express bus service

There is a bus service schedule at http://www.boqueteguide.com/ that we used last year. We took the midnight express (which actually stopped very briefly a number of times) and it got us to David promptly at 6AM. We arrived at Tocumen abt 9:50 and took a taxi to the Albrook bus terminal ($30 total....share if you can) arriving with plenty of time to purchase tickets($18.25 ea). BUT, this was a totally full bus, so I probably would purchase in advance if it was critical. The seats are comfortable but don't have any leg/ large tush room. Request an aisle seat if you have any height or size issues. This bus was cold. Be prepared, the AC is on high. One thing we were not aware of was that we needed a Panamanian bus card to get through the turnstyle even with the paid ticket to David. An ex- pat taking the same bus kindly swiped his card for us...approx .80?. Evidently this card can be purchased at Albrook and it may be the same one you can preload for bus service in and around Panama City if you are going to stay in town a few days. ASK when purchasing your ticket just to be sure. The non- express bus' are an option if you want to see a bit more of the country and "supposedly'" only take an hour or so longer. Once in David we took a taxi to the airport to pick up our pre-booked car and drove up to Boquete. The other option is to catch one of the buses to Boquete and get your rental car there . A note to all travelers. Make a copy of your passport before you leave home & as soon as possible make a copy of your stamped ingress page. Keep your original secured and use the copies when you need. Should you have to replace your passport (my DH did!) the consulate has limited hours and resources....be as proactive as possible to make it easier.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama to David, express bus service

See my comments at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298424-i7052-k712…

Others have linked to http://thebusschedule.com/EN/pa/ - I don't know how reliable that is.

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama to David, express bus service

I just took these buses last week. I took a midnight bus to David, then caught the bus to Boquete, then returned, only the bus I returned to Panama City on was not the express bus. The non-express bus is cheaper by only a few bucks, but I did enjoy seeing the country.The midnight bus is very hard to get any sleep on, so if you have anything important to do the next day, you'll be pretty tired. Another thing I enjoyed about the non-express bus was the Spanish dubbed movies :) The express bus took a little less than 6 hours; non express was a little over 7.5 with a 30-minute stop for eating and bathroom.

As far as the schedule goes, I've been told that those schedules are not really accurate. Plan on a bus leaving both ways every hour "or so". The reason is, the buses often will only leave when they get full. For example, I arrived in David at 12:45 to take the 1pm bus back to PC. But, at that time the 12:00 bus was only just leaving. So, the 1:00 bus left at 1:20. The up side to that is, if you arrive past the hour, you will pretty much just be able to hop on the next bus with room. The midnight buses though, I hear fill up more quickly and my guide book recommended getting the the terminal a little early. I didn't have that problem though, and I took the midnight bus from PC to David on a Friday, during a busy weekend when there was a fair in Boquete (= lots of Panamanians taking the bus). Sometimes they run more than one express bus during peak demand. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions let me know, this is still very fresh on my mind, as I just made the trip.

7. Re: Panama to David, express bus service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:18